partrige Brahma (breeding from scratch)

Thanks to breeders like Big Medicine and Dan Powell we have many varieties of brahmas here in the US. There are lots of dark, light, buff, but now also silver laced, buff laced, some BLR, I have seen partridge and blue partridge also. If you look long enough you can find breeders, I know there are atleast 4 breeders of partridge brahmas here in the US, well there were a few years back when I wanted some.

A friend of mine has decided to cut back on his LF Partridge Brahmas to concentrate on his other varieties. He is located in Franklin, (SW) Ohio. He would be willing to trade for good LF Light Brahmas. He can be reached at (937)-743-9348 evenings after 4PM, ask for Barry.

Alright, now that we've kicked you around awhile, if you are still determined to go foward, who am I to discourage someone with an urge to learn. (This is assuming that the only birds you have to work with are ones you listed originally, and you have money to burn. If not, refer to my original response.)
First off, I am confussed about the roosters you want to use, the color change thing, pictures would help. If they are first generation rock/brahma crosses, they should have some type of pea comb. Do they have feathers on their feet?

i have some barred rock/ partridge rock chicks. i wont be hatching the light brahma/ partrigde rock until spring. my light brahmas are only 6 months old. my nieghbor has the partridge rock hens. i have the light brahma hens and roosters. who said anything about money to burn. i can sell brown egg laying chicks to anyone. real good at easter. i am sure tcs wont have any like i will. besides i am just doing it for the fun of hatching something no one around here has. if it doesnt pan out, oh well, we will have chicken for supper..................

Sorry about that bigdawg, my post was directed toward loverOFchickens.

As to your guestion, yup, pretty much mutts. The pullets should look more like a poorly patterned light brahma. The cockerels more like light brahmas with yellowish neck and saddle feathers, kinda like they got washed in real rusty water.

thats ok, i just like hatching chicks. the first experiment barred rock/partigde rock has produced some interesting colored chicks. its all just for fun. i am addicted to hatching..................

I might break down and buy one Partridge Brahma to help speed the process up a bit. I am planning on having fun with this project: not high stress just for fun.

Maybe I should give you more back round on how this project got started. I lost one of our partridge Brahma hens I looked for her high and low but she was not there. 22 days later a hen with 10 chicks showed up in our yard. The only rooster we had at that point was light Brahma. I had heard of a family who had lost 12 birds to a raccoon through a friend so I just figured on giving them to that family. I let the hen raise the chicks for a couple of months and then we boxed them up to go. The friend gave them to her friends and all was fine. But a few days later I learned about Partridge Brahmas on BYC and wished I had kept some.

I then learned that the 1st friend had kept 2 of the chicks. I got to see them later. They do have fathered legs and a single combs. My friend would be willing to let me breed my birds to her roosters. I do not have pics of the second stage yet but I will try to post pics of the 1st stage soon.

I have 2 questions

1 What should I breed to next assuming that I don't have a Partridge Brahma.

2 What shouter be my main money concerns?

Thanks,
loverOFchickens

If you could land a partridge brahma male, breeding him with your dark brahma hen would give you your best start, short of also buying a partridge brahma hen.

I was playing around with Henk's chicken calculator. Crossing your buff brahma male to your dark brahma hen should produce "black patterned yellow/golden columbian" cockerels. This cockerel breed back to the dark hen should produce 16 possible slightly different genetic color combinations, a couple are getting in the neighborhood. Keep breeding the ones that most closely resemble the partridge pattern will get you close. I don't think you will ever get them dark enough without bringing in the mahogeny gene, if that is a concern for you. Going this route would save you the trouble of refixing traites like comb, foot feathering, and type to a certain degree.

Proper brahma type is very important to keep in mind in a project like this. There should be no doubt to any one who sees your birds, that you are raising brahmas, the color is secondary. That being said, you try to use the typiest birds with the closest color to what you trying to get in your breeding pens.

You main cost will be feed and facilities. You will have to hatch a good number of chicks to get the best chance of producing the chicks that will help you in you project. Brahmas are a long time growing up. Some things are apparent fairly early, but you will still need to grow out a good number to give you the best chance of choosing proper type and color in next years breeders. Believe me, and mine free range too, they will eat a lot of feed.

good luck
big medicine

Quote:
Ya, like those are easy to come by. How many generations till they breed true partridge?

Now what is make up of your crele? I saw the picture on the brahma thread. He is a bantam?. He has a nice brahma head.

Back
Top Bottom