Pasted butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lizzy14, Aug 20, 2011.

1. lizzy14

lizzy14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    Hey all, I've read a little on here about keeping an eye out for pasted butts on chicks and to use a wet towel to remove it. We have 13 welsummer and wyandotte chickies, and a few of them have some poop dried on their butts, though it doesn't look like it's covering the hole, but it is like cement! We can't get it off and don't want to hurt the lil buggers by pulling it off. Any other recommendations?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You can take a wet paper towel and just start working the little piece of cement back & forth and it will eventually start to loosen up.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I used to cut it with scissors if I couldn't get it off with a wet towel. Just be careful!

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    You can use the wet paper towel to start to start to soften it. If it is like cement, try tweezers to break it up. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I tried the tweezers to break up the poop. It really helped! Just make sure you don't pinch your baby! [​IMG] then just clean up with a moist paper towel or cloth.

5. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    u can just put the chicks behind under warm running water that's the easiest way i have done it with my silkies.

6. newjchick

newjchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Same thing happening w/my chicks. I've been taking a warm and very damp (almost wet) paper towel & applying it only to the dried up poop. After a while it will soften & then you can break it up until it completely falls off. Whole process (for me) takes about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. I'm wondering if it's because the chicks are eating the pine shavings strewn on the floor...I bought the larger sized shavings, but they might be eating bits and pieces anyway.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:X2. Least bothersome way.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:X 2 [​IMG]

9. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    Warm running water, clean them up good, then use a q-tip to put a tiny bit of vaseline around the vent, will help everything slide right off and save you cleaning!

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

and.... dab on a little vasoline to assist in making the area less prone to future sticking. Also, check the heat of the brooder. Excess heat has been shown to be a contributor in some folk's eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by