Pasteurization of Eggs...Thoughts?

GreenMum

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Koots, BC Canada
On another thread, a discussion about raw milk and pasteurization got started. I had a misinformed comment that Cassie caught (thank you Cassie
wink.png
) which sent me onto the internet to do some research. In one of the articles I was reading about pasteurizing milk, it was mentioned that they are now pasteurizing eggs. I am very interested to hear what you folks have to say about that. For and against and reasons why...
(btw, I hope it's not out of line to mention another member. If it is, I apologize.)

Oh, I wasn't planning on pasteurizing my eggs. I read in an article that they are starting to pasteurize eggs sold in grocery stores and I was just wondering what everyone thought about the whole idea.

I was reading a recipe one time (Lemony Eggs Florentine) and it called for pasteurized eggs and I was like, what?! Where am I suppose to find those and what's the point of having my own eggs if I can't use them?! So I haven't made that recipe, however I think why it called for pasteurized eggs was because you don't cook the eggs all the way through so the yolk is runny.

I was reading a recipe one time (Lemony Eggs Florentine) and it called for pasteurized eggs and I was like, what?! Where am I suppose to find those and what's the point of having my own eggs if I can't use them?! So I haven't made that recipe, however I think why it called for pasteurized eggs was because you don't cook the eggs all the way through so the yolk is runny.
When you cook your eggs, do you have runny yolks?

Sometimes restaurants buy pasteurized eggs for safety reasons because they use recipes that call for raw eggs. The dressing for Ceaser (sp) Salad and egg nog are two that come to mind. If I were a chef I could think of a lot more. You can buy pasteurized eggs in some of the larger markets if you look for them, but frankly I don't see the point.

To buy pasteurized egg is pointless. Most of us on here raise chickens specifically so we know where our food comes from. Pasteurizing anything destroys every, good and bad (but if you raised your chickens right, there would be no bad organism inside at all!!) organism in the egg.

In my opinion; stupid, and pointless.

If I understand this all correctly, the main reason for pasteurization of eggs is to prevent salmonella poisoning. Salmonella is mostly preventable unless you have a hen who carries the bacteria in her ovaries, you have rats in your feed, or you have seriously unclean living conditions for your lovelies. Oops...two of those three are preventable which leaves us with the genetic pre-disposition.
I was really quite concerned about this whole salmonella thing when one of the people I work with told me that I should be careful about selling my eggs because if anyone was to get sick they could sue me. Since my girls live well and I have rat-free bins for storing feed, my only issue was the girls carrying it in their ovaries. So, I did what any (nervous) person without access to a laboratory would do...I tested my eggs on myself. So far so good.
yesss.gif
And in the process, I discovered that I really REALLY like runny yolks! As long as they are hot, I am all over those puppies!! YUM YUM YUM! I have to say though...people continue to surprise me. If you don't want to chance salmonella either cook your yolks through or don't eat eggs. It's really simple, isn't it?

If I understand this all correctly, the main reason for pasteurization of eggs is to prevent salmonella poisoning. Salmonella is mostly preventable unless you have a hen who carries the bacteria in her ovaries, you have rats in your feed, or you have seriously unclean living conditions for your lovelies. Oops...two of those three are preventable which leaves us with the genetic pre-disposition.
I was really quite concerned about this whole salmonella thing when one of the people I work with told me that I should be careful about selling my eggs because if anyone was to get sick they could sue me. Since my girls live well and I have rat-free bins for storing feed, my only issue was the girls carrying it in their ovaries. So, I did what any (nervous) person without access to a laboratory would do...I tested my eggs on myself. So far so good.
yesss.gif
And in the process, I discovered that I really REALLY like runny yolks! As long as they are hot, I am all over those puppies!! YUM YUM YUM! I have to say though...people continue to surprise me. If you don't want to chance salmonella either cook your yolks through or don't eat eggs. It's really simple, isn't it?
I only eat runny yokes. SO good.
droolin.gif
Esspecially when the yoke is bright orange. Mm mm GOOD!

Back
Top Bottom