1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Pastey Butt !! Any advice??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Sep 23, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Have 4 chicks in a brooder box. Temps are cooler at night so I increase temp of brooder. They are 1 week old. Noticed 1 is getting pastey butt. I've been cleaning it of course the feathers are of its bottom now. Any suggestions ?? This is my little paint silkie that I have wanted so bad.. Lost 1 I had under a hen that started with pastey butt. Please any advice would be appreciated.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Clean up the area, pat it dry and apply some vaseline. It'll help prevent the poop sticking. Mix some Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with their drink water. I mix 4-5 tablespoons with a gallon water and give it to all my chickens. It's great for pasty butt and it's very good for chickens of any age. I hear plain yoghurt also helps for pasty butt and chicks love it. Good luck!

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sumi's advice is excellent. Being too warm can make the pasty butt worse. They drink more water and things get too "loose". At one week old they need an area about 85-90 degrees to warm up in but should be able to move to a cooler area also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by