Pasting up question.

Tracerkid

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2015
Hi All,

I have six chicks that I purchased on 3/3. On the 4th two of them were pasted up. Those two still have poop stuck on their behinds but the vent isn't clogged. My question is should I soak and remove the poop or leave it since the vent isn't clogged? Thanks

Yeah, I would clean the left over poo off. Anymore that comes out has the chance to stick and pile up on what's already there. I just hold my chicks tushies under the running tap, work the yuck off and dry them up with a paper towel when I'm done. You could also put some olive oil or vaseline under their vents to prevent further sticking. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Okaydokee. I was afraid of that. Those two really didn't enjoy the water last time. Guess it is time to go clean some chick's butts. :) I tell what I won't do for some fresh eggs...LOL

Hi All,

I have six chicks that I purchased on 3/3. On the 4th two of them were pasted up. Those two still have poop stuck on their behinds but the vent isn't clogged. My question is should I soak and remove the poop or leave it since the vent isn't clogged? Thanks

I am a newbie, but I saw where some apple cider vinegar in their water is supposed to work pretty good. 2-4 tablespoons per gallon of water.

I am a newbie, but I saw where some apple cider vinegar in their water is supposed to work pretty good. 2-4 tablespoons per gallon of water.
I think it's 1 T per gallon of water, and you need unfiltered, not pasteurized ACV with mother in it

I picked up some probiotic and electrolytes at the feed store the other day, can be used together and 3 packets together in pouches (think alka seltzer type packaging) was 2.49. Bought each of them, mix with a gallon of water. I put it in their gallon jug with the nipples on the bottom, it must taste good, 8 chicks have gone through about 1/3 of it in 24 hours, LOL

Last edited:
I think it's 1 T per gallon of water, and you need unfiltered, not pasteurized ACV with mother in it

I picked up some probiotic and electrolytes at the feed store the other day, can be used together and 3 packets together in pouches (think alka seltzer type packaging) was 2.49. Bought each of them, mix with a gallon of water. I put it in their gallon jug with the nipples on the bottom, it must taste good, 8 chicks have gone through about 1/3 of it in 24 hours, LOL

OK, I appreciate the input.

Make sure that water is not to cold or to hot too. I have a tiny polish that is getting over the pasty. I put about 3 inches of warm water in the bathroom sink and held her making sure she did not get to wet while I cleaned the bottom. She did not fuss much at all.

I have done my butt checks and all is well
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom