Pasting?

Giddy_upGirl

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Hi all,
I am extremely new to raising chickens, 6 days to be exact. I have one chick that has no down on her bottom. I suspected pasting however I am not sure. I have cleaned her bottom and she looks ok but there is no down or tail feathers. All the other chicks have the start of tail and wing feathers but not this one. I am worried that there might be some other issue that I am not aware of. I have seen her eat and drink, her breathing seems to be a bit more labored when you compare her to the others and she seems to want peep but often nothing or a very week sound comes out, if she is stressed (picking her up and taking her out of the brooder) she can give out a loud peep. Any advice and or pictures or links would be greatly appreciated.

pictures from you of the chick would be helpful, sometimes its hard for us to help if we can't see what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like its a problem. Pastie butt is when they have poo stuck on their bum and it plugs them up. That chick may have been pastie at the store and someone pulled off her feathers when they removed the poo.

Post a picture and we can tell you more.

Sounds to me like the chick just hasn't feathered in that area yet. Sometimes there is a laps between when they lose the down and when they feather in.

thank you so much I have been checking her often and she seems to be much more comfy now after I cleaned her up. Yesterday I caught some of the others pecking at her bottom and it was very red, almost looked raw and bloody (she has been trying to clean herself) but today the skin that is naked is no longer pink and ouchy looking, it is smooth and looks to be a normal color. I will keep trying to figure out how to get a picture up, I haven't had luck figuring out how to get them on here. I can upload them just fine, but can't put them anywhere but the upload page. Maybe it's because this is only my second post. Again, thank you so much I have been worried and more than a little unsure......

Back
Top Bottom