Pastoral Poultry, Traditional Farming For A Modern Era

bayocum - Thank you, I am kind of excited. I would like to talk to someone who is familiar with the breed.

My mother always gives me money for Christmas, and this is how I spent it. I am in no rush, so that they are slow growing should not be a problem. I am thinking of adding another coop/ run, just to keep the meat roo's towards the end. I plan to have them free range with the broody hen most of the summer, but I would like to pen them up a bit towards the end, so they are not quite so tough.

Also, my current house only holds about a dozen full size birds, with the long summer days, I can get quite a few more in there counting chicks durning the summer, but as fall comes on, and the chicks get big, I will need to get more space.

This will be an adventure, isn't life fun!

Mrs. K- Sounds like you have some great plans. It's always exciting to start a new adventure...its also often a lot of work, but very exciting. Right now we are nearing the end of the cycle with some white American Bresse. They are really beautiful birds and we've spent a lot of time trying to do our best to emulate and modify the traditional French methods. You can see our "Adventures in Bresse" on our website if your interested...should have another post up soon. We've had a few learning moments along the way, but so far they have progressed really nicely. We feed an organic finisher, have them on natural and organic pasture under our walnut trees, and allow them to free range for about 14 hours a day. It's been a blast and now we have some black American Bresse in the incubator. We are also getting ready to start some new Buckeyes and HRIR's. It has been really great to work with people like Chris and Ron...they are absolutely top notch in our book. It's very exciting times here at Sunbird Farms...
Best,
Brice

Very excited about this thread! I am in love with this Wendell Berry, Barbara Kingsolver movement. My husband, son and I live on a small organic hobby farm and art studio in rural Alabama. We recently moved here from Knoxville. My husband is into draft animals, we have a large organic heirloom garden we do every year, 2 great pyrenees and now some lovely chickens. We are very interested in heritage breeds of animals and vegetables. Up.until this point we have been primarily into heirloom veggies and herbs, several varieties of local tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. Now we are Working more on introducing heritage fowl to the mix. Currently we have black jersey giants, several silkies (a pet breeding project of mine), and blue lace red wyandottes. I make a ferment feed from home made ACV and a starter grower made locally, supplement with a little scratch and grit. My husband wants to add another breed of chicken like either the Buckeye or the Delaware. So nice to hear of someone working with the bresse, remarkably stunning bird. I look forward to following this thread! Mostly for the advice but when I can I will chime in! There is a chicken and egg festival in Moulton Alabama this weekend, hoping to pick up a few special chicks. :) -Jin

Last edited:
Well, since I am just starting out and finally talked the wife into having chickens, my plan is very simple,lol. After finishing my coop and getting a run set up for them, I am planning on buying some 1-2 year old isa browns that are already laying. The reason being for this is to pull the wool a lil over her eyes(she is all about instant gratification),lol. Then try to find some good heritage breed that is a dual purpose bird. I also plan on doing slow growing "broilers" throughout the summer months.
My ultimate goal is to have a steady supply of fresh eggs and healthy chicken for the freezer. We will probly raise some broilers for friends and family also to help offset some if our costs. The "broilers" will be started in early spring and grown out until fall. Next summer I will also be adding some type of turkeys to the flock also, mainly for the holidays,lol.

Any suggestions for a cold hardy heritage breed? Also, what is a good slower growing broiler? Thanks in advance for any and all advice, Mike.

Mike...one you should definitely try is one that Jin mentioned, the "Buckley"...
wink.png
ha ha...just kidding, I think she meant to type, Buckeye. They are a great cold-weather dual-purpose bird. I think their production rate for eggs varies somewhat, but we have a hen that lays very regularly. Other options might be Delawares, New Hampshires, Rocks and Heritage RIR's. Each has its "sweet spot," but I have been really impressed with the growth of our German New Hampshires as well. A couple of the other gentlemen on this thread are more educated in these breeds than I am and can give you a little better insight. Our Buckeye roo is a big guy, and well proportioned...definitely worth considering. Anyone else?

Very excited about this thread! I am in love with this Wendell Berry, Barbara Kingsolver movement. My husband, son and I live on a small 3 acre organic hobby farm and art studio in rural Alabama. We recently moved here from Knoxville. My husband is into draft animals, we have a large organic heirloom garden we do every year, 2 great pyrenees and now some lovely chickens. We are very interested in heritage breeds of animals and vegetables. Up.until this point we have been primarily into heirloom veggies and herbs, several varieties of local tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. Now we are Working more on introducing heritage fowl to the mix. Currently we have black jersey giants, several silkies (a pet breeding project of mine), and blue lace red wyandottes. I make a ferment feed from home made ACV and a starter grower made locally, supplement with a little scratch and grit. My husband wants to add another breed of chicken like either the Buckley or the Delaware. So nice to hear of someone working with the bresse, remarkably stunning bird. I look forward to following this thread! Mostly for the advice but when I can I will chime in! There is a chicken and egg festival in Moulton Alabama this weekend, hoping to pick up a few special chicks.
smile.png
-Jin
Jin,
What varieties of tomatoes do you have? Are you able to grow lettuce? We are doing the same here in California, really trying to focus on the Ark of Taste breeds/varieties whenever possible. We purchased some great lettuce seeds from Seed Savers I believe, Tennis Ball...fantastic heirloom butter-leaf lettuce. Seed Savers has an Ark of Taste selection that is really cool. If you are looking for Buckeyes, we might be able to help you later in the year, but I believe that Chris is in Alabama and could get you going in the right direction. Local is the best
big_smile.png
. Thanks for joining us here!

Thank you! :) my husband and I love the ark of taste! We grow Lockhart tomatoes. They're great. We've been.working with them for 3 years. They were developed by a.local farmer, and we have restarted the Lockhart tomato in walker county. :) we have a huge row of spinach and lettuce started. I cannot think of the lettuce name. It's a romaine. I will ask Phillip when he gets home. I may have to talk to Chris. My husband is super interested in the buckeyes. We've been obsessed with this seed saving book called the seed underground. It's by Janisse Ray. :) so good!

Last edited:
Good morning all...
Here in the pacific n/w, north idaho area we grow a large sustaining garden that feeds both our family and other. I collect heirloom seeds each fall and what I don't save or lack collecting I purchase from Baker creek. They are a wonderful "mom and pop" source for true authentic seeds. Most the seeds had a origination point as well.
I am currently rebuilding my flock of heritage breed fowl. I'm working on buckeyes and Delewares chickens and Bourbon red Turkeys .. About 3.5 years ago I had a major predictor attack killing and dismembering 11 chickens and 7 turkeys. Serves me right for running to town while free ranging the birds. Not one for the birds were ate by the predictor. They were just killed. Which makes me think it was a pack of wolves (they kill to kill). We have seen the wolves less then 1/4 mile away, a pack of 4. So now I am starting over with my 2 buckeyes, 2 Delewares and a dozen eggs on the way and 7 in the bator. I have revamped my security and bought a new shot gun! You know, farm girl style!

Thank you!
smile.png
my husband and I love the ark of taste! We grow Lockhart tomatoes. They're great. We've been.working with them for 3 years. They were developed by a.local farmer. When he passed they found a labeled jar of seeds in his house. My husbands dad has held in to those seeds a decade and we have restarted the Lockhart tomato in walker county.
smile.png
we have a huge row of spinach and lettuce started. Mailbag red spinach, and I cannot think of the lettuce name. It's a romaine. I will ask Phillip when he gets home. I may have to talk to Chris. My husband is super interested in the buckeyes. I've been obsessed with this seed saving book called the seed underground. It's by Janisse Ray.
smile.png
so good!
Jin:

I've been to Parrish before-- Walker County. Years ago when I practiced law in Birmingham, I took cases and represented clients in court in Jasper. Had a long-time client who lived in Cordova.

We have a year round garden -- enjoying brussel sprouts and asparagus right now. I would love to try those Lockhart tomatoes (we just put some tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, rutabagas, spinach, oninions in the ground) - - - had garlic growing since early Fall.

I work in Anniston but live in Cleburne County outside of Heflin. Jerry Couch (from near you) is showing some of his Buckeyes in Moulton this weekend.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom