Pastoral Poultry, Traditional Farming For A Modern Era

Good morning all...
Here in the pacific n/w, north idaho area we grow a large sustaining garden that feeds both our family and other. I collect heirloom seeds each fall and what I don't save or lack collecting I purchase from Baker creek. They are a wonderful "mom and pop" source for true authentic seeds. Most the seeds had a origination point as well.
I am currently rebuilding my flock of heritage breed fowl. I'm working on buckeyes and Delewares chickens and Bourbon red Turkeys .. About 3.5 years ago I had a major predictor attack killing and dismembering 11 chickens and 7 turkeys. Serves me right for running to town while free ranging the birds. Not one for the birds were ate by the predictor. They were just killed. Which makes me think it was a pack of wolves (they kill to kill). We have seen the wolves less then 1/4 mile away, a pack of 4. So now I am starting over with my 2 buckeyes, 2 Delewares and a dozen eggs on the way and 7 in the bator. I have revamped my security and bought a new shot gun! You know, farm girl style!
We will all make sure to call before coming up to the house... ha ha! I always hesitate to say this...and someday I'll be sorry, but we have been so lucky with predators. We have two dogs, but they are kept in a dog run at night. We have only had one "season" of coyote attacks, about 3 in a row. One morning the German Shepherd was on his hind legs barking like crazy. On my way out to shut him up, I thought...maybe he has a reason...not 10' away a coyote was hiding behind our playhouse. Instead of sneaking back inside for the shotgun so I could go "farm girl style," I grabbed a shoe and threw it. Dumb, but effective. They got a couple of young welsummers and a breda that had survived Mareks, but had a bum leg (should have culled, but of course he was the kids favorite, so the coyote really did me a favor with that one). After that week or two, we've never had another encounter. Wolves... wow! Anyhow... good luck with your chickens and turkeys and thanks for sharing over here on this thread. We might have to do a seed exchange this fall, and maybe some eggs too! How have your Buckeyes/Delawares performed in the winters? Are they just for eggs or meat to? Just looking for some comparative information.
Best,
Brice

Chris,
   What Plucker do you use?  I was asking Ron about the "mess, tearing, fingers" because he uses the Power Plucker, which is the attachment for a power drill.  We are considering the Whizbang, but open to other ideas.  Anything is better than the hand plucking.

I too am looking into a whizbang. I saw a used one locally for only $250. Sure beats ordering and putting in together. In the past with my CX I just skinned them. It was super easy. I would do 40 or so at a time. Most of those who bought them didn't mind not having the skin on because of the "skin is bad for you" theory. However to skin a heritage breed chicken is insanely hard. So I'll hand pluck if need be. There's a lady nearby that butchers chicken for me @ 2.50 a bird, 40 bird min. It's not the most economical but either is me spending my whole day plucking feathers.
For those that want to read up on self sustainability and pasture raising poultry, Herrick Kimball is a modern day inspiration (also the inventor of the whizbang). Only second to Joel Salatin himself.

We will all make sure to call before coming up to the house... ha ha!  I always hesitate to say this...and someday I'll be sorry, but we have been so lucky with predators.  We have two dogs, but they are kept in a dog run at night.  We have only had one "season" of coyote attacks, about 3 in a row. One morning the German Shepherd was on his hind legs barking like crazy.  On my way out to shut him up, I thought...maybe he has a reason...not 10' away a coyote was hiding behind our playhouse.  Instead of sneaking back inside for the shotgun so I could go "farm girl style," I grabbed a shoe and threw it.  Dumb, but effective.  They got a couple of young welsummers and a breda that had survived Mareks, but had a bum leg (should have culled, but of course he was the kids favorite, so the coyote really did me a favor with that one).  After that week or two, we've never had another encounter.  Wolves... wow!  Anyhow... good luck with your chickens and turkeys and thanks for sharing over here on this thread.  We might have to do a seed exchange this fall, and maybe some eggs too!  How have your Buckeyes/Delawares performed in the winters?  Are they just for eggs or meat to?  Just looking for some comparative information.
Best,
Brice

The buckeyes truly thrive in the winter. And we get cold, in the single digits with a heavy snow load. That doesn't stop the buckeyes from forages and making a path thru the snow. If "shtf" I feel I could easy keep a pastured buckeye flock with no problems. And i would chose buckeyes over the Deles if it came down to it. Buckeyes would rather forage for themselves then stand at a feeder any day. Snow, rain, heat. Whatever. Nettie Metcalf was right on breeding this bird.

Jin:

I've been to Parrish before-- Walker County. Years ago when I practiced law in Birmingham, I took cases and represented clients in court in Jasper. Had a long-time client who lived in Cordova.

We have a year round garden -- enjoying brussel sprouts and asparagus right now. I would love to try those Lockhart tomatoes (we just put some tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, rutabagas, spinach, oninions in the ground) - - - had garlic growing since early Fall.

I work in Anniston but live in Cleburne County outside of Heflin. Jerry Couch (from near you) is showing some of his Buckeyes in Moulton this weekend.

Chris

Good ole walker county I guarantee you hadn't changed much! My husband and son use the Cordova skate park from time to time. My husband is actually from Parrish, so he knows the surrounding area very well. He says Cordova has drastically changed since the tornados. Ive only known it to look barren and run down. :-/ I could try to get you some Lockhart seeds if you'd like to try them. They're an ugly but an incredibly tasty yellow tomato. Our onions are doing well. Just got tubers from.the local feed and seed to plant this weekend. My husband works in sumiton as a gear cutter during the week. We haven't gotten our egg plants yet but squash mounds are well. Started tilling up the majority of the yard that is road front for some Knoxville heirloom.red sweet corn and some hickory king. What a small world! I'm sure we will talk more about the buckeyes soon, either that or you may have to introduce me to your friend Jerry! Hopefully I will see your friend there Saturday. Our first poultry show/festival really, so it's exciting.
On a sidenote, does any body practice any biodynamic farming? When we lived in Knoxville my husband worked at the 3 rivers co-op, and they had some local produce that was biodynamic. It.always blew the organic produce away. The farmer's name is Jeff Poppen, he goes by the barefoot farmer. His farm, and farming practices are archival and intriguing. We use his book when companion planting or looking to enrich microbial life in the soil. He has a few YouTube videos as the barefoot farmer. Spectacular guy. We use a few biodynamic techniques but would love to hear from people who use more. :)

Last edited:
Mine is one of the EZ Plucker models (I'll have to look when I get home as to eactly which one I have -- the more fingers, the higher the price). here's one model:
http://www.amazon.com/EZPLUCKER-Stainless-Chicken-Plucker-Defeather/dp/B006QXB85Q
We use a combination of plucker and hand. Our plucker is one we built using a plucker drum and fingers (about 8 x 10) in our own fixture. We pluck with that first, then finish by hand. Goes very fast.

We raise American Dominiques for eggs and meat, and breed for SOP standard as well. No supplimental lighting or heat.

The buckeyes truly thrive in the winter. And we get cold, in the single digits with a heavy snow load. That doesn't stop the buckeyes from forages and making a path thru the snow. If "shtf" I feel I could easy keep a pastured buckeye flock with no problems. And i would chose buckeyes over the Deles if it came down to it. Buckeyes would rather forage for themselves then stand at a feeder any day. Snow, rain, heat. Whatever. Nettie Metcalf was right on breeding this bird.
Great info.. thanks Partyfowl. We also have been hand-plucking our birds...but it's just too much trouble if you really want to process a decent number. I think I may have said this already, but we tried to do 80 birds once, on a rainy wet spring day...make that, days. Took two full days (felt like full days anyway). So we are all about the plucker.

Here is a couple of pics of our HRIR's from Ron:
At 9 days:

Here they are at 17 days:

And finally a Buckeye at 6 weeks:

Sorry for all the pictures...
-Brice

We use a combination of plucker and hand. Our plucker is one we built using a plucker drum and fingers (about 8 x 10) in our own fixture. We pluck with that first, then finish by hand. Goes very fast.

We raise American Dominiques for eggs and meat, and breed for SOP standard as well. No supplimental lighting or heat.
Welcome wsmith! How do the Dominiques perform for eggs/meat? Another intriguing heritage breed, but we only have so much space here at Sunbird Farms...ha ha. I was in Colorado Springs last year giving a seminar at the Fort Carson. We have family in and around the area and my father is from Longmont/Lafayette. His family had "chickens," and that's about all I remember. Beautiful area.

Welcome wsmith! How do the Dominiques perform for eggs/meat? Another intriguing heritage breed, but we only have so much space here at Sunbird Farms...ha ha. I was in Colorado Springs last year giving a seminar at the Fort Carson. We have family in and around the area and my father is from Longmont/Lafayette. His family had "chickens," and that's about all I remember. Beautiful area.
Lets see...Give me a second to pull up my spreadsheets.......

Currently at just under one year of age, we have gotten nearly 1200 eggs; they have been laying for just over 6 months. For the month of March, 12 Dom hens laid 250 eggs, for a monthly lay factor (average daily egg production divided by total number of laying hens) of .67. During the last week of March the lay factor was .74. Not too bad for a Heritage breed.

We have found that for our birds, it is best to wait until 24-26 weeks to butcher the cockerels. They gain nearly a pound in that last month. Last fall our average dressed weight for cockerels was about 4 lbs each, with a couple over 5 lbs. I think they are the best tasting tender birds I have ever eaten. Of course, I am partial.....

Our proparty is less than 1/2 mile from one of Ft Carson's small arms ranges. Look us up on line. We have a FB page.

Wow...those are some good stats for laying/meat. Our Basque hens are great layers, but we haven't kept the stats like you have...need to start doing that. Our Bresse roosters are averaging about 2.1kg at 13 weeks (live weight)...so a little over 4.5lbs. We're going to go another 5-7 weeks and see how they turn out. In the last three weeks they've added an additional 1.25lbs on average. Haven't done the calcs on the hens... It will be interesting to see where they are on May 1.

Wow...those are some good stats for laying/meat. Our Basque hens are great layers, but we haven't kept the stats like you have...need to start doing that. Our Bresse roosters are averaging about 2.1kg at 13 weeks (live weight)...so a little over 4.5lbs. We're going to go another 5-7 weeks and see how they turn out. In the last three weeks they've added an additional 1.25lbs on average. Haven't done the calcs on the hens... It will be interesting to see where they are on May 1.
I can email you a blank version of the spreadsheet I use. I also track temerature and day length, and I can usually predict within an egg or two how many eggs we will get, based on temperatures and day length. Remember, we don't use supplimental heating/cooling or any supplimental lighting. These hens laid eggs all winter long, and we had a mild winter....it only got down to zero without wind chill. We feed high protein feed (with animal proteins) along with our own blend of whole wheat, whole oats, and cracked corn. They also get most of the table scraps and whatever vegetables or fruits that people are trying to get rid of. They love freezer burned hot dogs......
We can't let our free range, as they would become dinner for the coyotes, stray dogs, hawks, and owls. But they do have nearly 3000 square feet of 6 ft wood fenced area to do whatever they want. We'll call it "Limited Pastured"......

Back
Top Bottom