Lovemylilcluckers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Wenatchee WA
We had a German Shepherd jump our pasture fence (chest level) and get 23 of our chickens on 12/16/23. We raised the fence up to 6+ foot but he came back this week and jumped over a spot we didn't know how to raise, our 10-12 foot swinging pasture gate. He got 2 out of the 3 of our last chickens. We have now rigged up some wire to raise it but it doesn’t seem very long term.

Question: Is there a good way to raise the gate fence for a German Shepherd dog? Retractable so we can still use the gate?

That breed of dog belongs to someone. I would find out who and send a bill or take them to small claims court for all of the chickens it's come on your property to kill. Then see if they do anything about it so it doesn't happen again.

It's insane you'd need to go higher than you already are to keep one dog out of there. Electric fencing wouldn't even work if he's scaling the fence.

Is there any chance you can get a guard dog type LGD or other similar type? A dog or a gun seems to me to be the only way if they don't do something.

A fence charger delivering 10,000 volts & 5 strands of steel wire would fix your problem. Bait it to shock a predator in the mouth then send the owner the bill when done! Sorry for your loss!

This is why I have electric. I started with 3' high, as it was for the sheep and donkeys (turns out a mini donkey can clear 3 feet if it wants to). So, I had moved the sheep and donkeys out of the pasture to mow my lawn using the 3' el netting. I look out the window and there is a German shepherd in with the sheep and lambs. I think he was curious but didn't know what to make of the ewe putting her head down and stomping the ground. I shut the electricity off and opened the netting so he could leave. Never came back. The fence didn't deter him, but I think the donkeys' stare down might have.

anyway, if you know who owns him, make a personal call. If you don't, be watchful and rush out there when you see him. He may jump into your car if you open the back door. Otherwise, bait him. Bring him to animal control. When people are inconvenienced they start to pay attention.

I would recommend raising more athletic breeds of chicken in the future. I've had five different feral dogs attack my chickens over the years and so far not a single chicken has been harmed. Chickens have wings and no land predator should be able to touch them

For the current problematic dog I would recommend the three Ss

I would recommend raising more athletic breeds of chicken in the future. I've had five different feral dogs attack my chickens over the years and so far not a single chicken has been harmed. Chickens have wings and no land predator should be able to touch them

For the current problematic dog I would recommend the three Ss
Athletic chickens can't outlast a dog's stamina, especially if trapped

Trapping birds somewhere is the only way they'll ever die to a land predator. Usually coops and fenced grass squares with zero trees are the areas of certain doom
Few people are able to have trees like that and most don't athletic type birds so it's all up to circumstances. I also don't think think it makes any difference whether there is or not, mine have plenty of low trees and tall bushes to fly into, yet dogs and coyotes are stronger, faster and they can jump fairly well. They can run down a chicken before she gets far and trees hide aerial predators.

Few people are able to have trees like that and most don't athletic type birds so it's all up to circumstances. I also don't think think it makes any difference whether there is or not, mine have plenty of low trees and tall bushes to fly into, yet dogs and coyotes are stronger, faster and they can jump fairly well. They can run down a chicken before she gets far and trees hide aerial predators.
If someone can't even have a tree in their yard then they definitely shouldn't have chickens. Flight is the natural escape method for birds. I have a fox den on my land and they can't even catch my RIR because there are plentiful trees around

A dog has zero chance of catching chickens in a properly suitable environment

Back
Top Bottom