pasty bumm and lethargic baby chick please help!!

kcobbs

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 7, 2013
I received my baby chicks yesterday by mail the Dominique chick I noticed already had pasty butt, I cleaned it twice yesterday and had to clean it again this morning. today she will not eat or drink and she's not as active as the others. I have put ACV and their water and put a little sand in the corner of their brooder box but she is still lethargic acting and will not eat or drink for me I dipped her beak in the water and she would not have anything to do with it is there anything else I can do?

Water in a dropper. She can go a little longer without food than water. Particularly if less than 72 hours old.

Yogurt to introduce more probiotics.

Also try olive oil on her vent after you clean her.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

she took the water from the syringe how much do I give her at a time I have a 3cc syringe and how often

I give as many drops as I can get them to take without fighting. And offer it ever hour or so. Not sure if that's too little or two much. But from watching chicks drink that seems about right.

okay sounds like a plan and I've already got the olive oil on her little b*** thank you so much

So sorry to hear about your chick, sometimes they are just weak and no matter what we do they won't make it. Mother natures way I suppose. We have had extremely good luck using Probios in their water from day one. It is concentrated probiotics and works much better than yogurt. I used 1tsp per gallon of water and changed daily for 7 days. We had 28 chicks ship from Iowa to Washington state and not one developed pasty butt. I was thrilled, never before had I seen any shipped chicks that didn't have a least a couple pasty butts. You can get Probios at your local feed store, most of the time in the goat/sheep/horse section. Just get the powdered form not the paste. Good luck with your others.

Back
Top Bottom