Pasty butt and inflamed bottom... HELP!!!

Hi all.... just wanted to let you know that the baby chick managed to make it through the night, I am still "force" feeding her, drop by drop of egg yolk with electrolytes, her butt is much less inflamed but she still struggles to poop. I got double antibiotic ointment, so I've been applying that on her butt instead of oil.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by doing all of this, she seems to be struggling, she sleeps all the time unless she's trying to poop.

How long should I keep doing this?
Like I said in an earlier reply, my polish girl struggled on and off for a month with several health issues, pasty butt being one of them. By 4 weeks old she had survived pasty butt, impacted crop and “failure to thrive” (it has a chick-specific name but I can’t think of it off the top of my head).

Are you adding the green tea mixture and rescue remedy if you have it like the video above shows? That REALLY perked up my girl when added to the egg yolk slurry. You’ll have to keep doing this for as long as it takes until she turns the corner and her little body starts fighting on its own. It’s hard work and dedication but it pays off.

I don't have green tea or rescue remedy.... I'll go and get some, I was just using yolk and electrolytes

Like I said in an earlier reply, my polish girl struggled on and off for a month with several health issues, pasty butt being one of them. By 4 weeks old she had survived pasty butt, impacted crop and “failure to thrive” (it has a chick-specific name but I can’t think of it off the top of my head).

Are you adding the green tea mixture and rescue remedy if you have it like the video above shows? That REALLY perked up my girl when added to the egg yolk slurry. You’ll have to keep doing this for as long as it takes until she turns the corner and her little body starts fighting on its own. It’s hard work and dedication but it pays off.
Hi, I have an update:

I got my hands on rescue remedy and green tea, and made the exact recipe in the video... she made it through the night, again, but seems to be as weak as yesterday, or even weaker: she almost doesn't open her eyes. I hadn't realized till a while ago that she had air in her crop, so I massaged it and managed to get quite a few burps out.

It's not easy to make her eat, but little by little, I've managed to get a couple of drops in. I'm worried she's not being able to digest, can she get impacted crop if I'm only feeding yolk smoothie? Is there something else I can do or just keep on going and wait...?

Hi, I have an update:

I got my hands on rescue remedy and green tea, and made the exact recipe in the video... she made it through the night, again, but seems to be as weak as yesterday, or even weaker: she almost doesn't open her eyes. I hadn't realized till a while ago that she had air in her crop, so I massaged it and managed to get quite a few burps out.

It's not easy to make her eat, but little by little, I've managed to get a couple of drops in. I'm worried she's not being able to digest, can she get impacted crop if I'm only feeding yolk smoothie? Is there something else I can do or just keep on going and wait...?
Does her crop feel full of air or does it feel hard? An impacted crop is hard and looks “swollen”. The crop
Hi, I have an update:

Hi. Glad she made it thru the night. Good job!
Usually an impacted crop feels hard and “swollen”. You can try some cold coconut oil (the small chunks are easier to get into the beak), that can help move some things out of the crop. You’ll want to do some massage of the crop. Massage upward to get anything that remains in the crop to move downward with the help of the coconut oil. (See photo- food has a bit of an upward climb to get down into the end part of the digestive tract)
If she’ll keep eating but more importantly drinking, that’s important. How’s the party butt? Is she staying warm? What’s her activity level? Can you wrap her in a dish towel and keep her close to your body to keep her warm? Also what kind of heating source do your chicks have- brooder plate, heat lamp?

Does her crop feel full of air or does it feel hard? An impacted crop is hard and looks “swollen”. The crop

Hi. Glad she made it thru the night. Good job!
Usually an impacted crop feels hard and “swollen”. You can try some cold coconut oil (the small chunks are easier to get into the beak), that can help move some things out of the crop. You’ll want to do some massage of the crop. Massage upward to get anything that remains in the crop to move downward with the help of the coconut oil. (See photo- food has a bit of an upward climb to get down into the end part of the digestive tract)
If she’ll keep eating but more importantly drinking, that’s important. How’s the party butt? Is she staying warm? What’s her activity level? Can you wrap her in a dish towel and keep her close to your body to keep her warm? Also what kind of heating source do your chicks have- brooder plate, heat lamp?

Attachments

• 738DAE1D-C847-424C-8495-2694E954C3A3.jpeg
    738DAE1D-C847-424C-8495-2694E954C3A3.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 3
I’m sorry my response is such a mess above. I didn’t mean to quote and re-quote your entry and my auto-correct took over and I didn’t realize I started typing my response and then started again 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I meant “how is the Pasty Butt”? Good lord I need to pay more attention.

I’m sorry my response is such a mess above. I didn’t mean to quote and re-quote your entry and my auto-correct took over and I didn’t realize I started typing my response and then started again 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I meant “how is the Pasty Butt”? Good lord I need to pay more attention.
Hahahaha, no worries, thanks for your reply.

Her activity level is inexistent. She stands when she can lean against something on her behind, and if I grab her and do anything, she'll peep, open her little wings and move a little. Her crop had a lot of air and bubbly yolk, I gave her a bit of sodium bicarbonate and managed to get more burps out...

The heatsource is a heat lamp, I know it is not the best option but the other 2 chicks are doing fine, so I would assume that's not it.

Her pasty butt is a lot better, actually I went to see her now and she had pooped (yellowish poop, like not very digested yolk), but when she moved for pooping she ended up away from the heatsource and was a bit cold, I'll try to keep her worm against my body now, and mainly wait.

My main concern is that she's barely drinking a liiiittle bit of yolk smoothie, drop by drop... but obviously not on her own.

Hahahaha, no worries, thanks for your reply.

Her activity level is inexistent. She stands when she can lean against something on her behind, and if I grab her and do anything, she'll peep, open her little wings and move a little. Her crop had a lot of air and bubbly yolk, I gave her a bit of sodium bicarbonate and managed to get more burps out...

The heatsource is a heat lamp, I know it is not the best option but the other 2 chicks are doing fine, so I would assume that's not it.

Her pasty butt is a lot better, actually I went to see her now and she had pooped (yellowish poop, like not very digested yolk), but when she moved for pooping she ended up away from the heatsource and was a bit cold, I'll try to keep her worm against my body now, and mainly wait.

My main concern is that she's barely drinking a liiiittle bit of yolk smoothie, drop by drop... but obviously not on her own.
Keep doing what you're doing! @Wyorp Rock would you recommend coconut oil on this case?

Back
Top Bottom