Pasty Butt chicken.

xenazuno

Hatching
Mar 1, 2021
Hi! I need some help. Last year when I had chicks they never had this problem. And one of mine this year just so happened to have this problem. And I stupidly didn’t research it, because I was scared it built up and was covering the vent hole. I tried softening it a little bit with some water, but he was getting so cold I panicked and just ripped it off. So now my pore little chick is missing his fur on his bottom ;(. It’s not as red and irritated, it’s just been a couple days. I put petroleum jelly on him, he usually sleeps, he doesn’t scream, he usually calms down after I put the jelly on. The other chick doesn’t bother, they’re usually curled up together sleeping. But now I feel so so bad, it looks terrible but better than before. I mean I really just want to cry I feel bad. Is the fur gonna grow back or is he gonna be bald there forever? Is this going to affect him? What can I put on him to help him? I don’t know if I’m supposed to use the petroleum jelly or not. But it’s the best thing I have right now until I can find the right thing. Please help me someone. I don’t know exactly how old they are, I got them last Wednesday. So I’m guessing they’re roughly a week by now. I don’t want to attach a picture because I feel really bad and I’d rather not have everyone tell me I messed up :(.

Can you post some good clear pictures of his vent and of the brooder? Pasty butt is usually caused by stress or an overheated brooder.
I think he will be fine. Chicks molt out of their baby fluff pretty quickly.
How old are the chicks?

Can you post some good clear pictures of his vent and of the brooder? Pasty butt is usually caused by stress or an overheated brooder.
I think he will be fine. Chicks molt out of their baby fluff pretty quickly.
How old are the chicks?
@xenazuno, this is a no judgment zone. We've all been new to chicks and made mistakes. We want to help, so please post a picture so we can see what to suggest.
The Vaseline has seemed to help a whole lot. And I think his little behind is all healed. It doesn’t look bruised anymore. No more pasty butt. Just waiting for the feathers to grow in.

Solution for pasty but is to add 3/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar for a quart of water. You can add it to the communal waterer, it won’t hurt if other chicks don’t have pasty butt. If it doesn’t work, you can add more apple cider vinegar, up to 1 tsp. I recommend you try this electrolyte mix to prevent pasty butt in the future:

per 1 quart water

4 cups warm water
2tbsp + 1 tsp white granulated sugar or molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp potassium chloride

Only feed this to chicks while they are in the brooder. Once they move out, it’s best to move to a store bought electrolyte mix. Just add this to their water. The best way to find potassium chloride is to find a salt substitute in the store. Just adjust the recipe to the size of your waterer. Hope this helps!!!

You can mix their food into corn meal, scrambled eggs, or plain, greek yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom