1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Butt cleaned off but still no poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barry, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought an ameraucauna chick 2 days ago (with 2 silkies), and I finally noticed it had pasty butt so I got it cleaned off, it was real hard so it has been there for a while. The problem is that it has not pooped or eat en or drank since. That was 5 hours ago!
    Is there any hope?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    mine didn't poop right away either. did you try neosporin also? it might help! mine is ok, but she needed cleaning a few times first [​IMG]

3. Barry

No I did not put anything on it, i was waiting to see some poop first before i started worrying about it coming back.

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    someone else suggestions massaging with an oil type product to loosing things up...good luck!

5. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    I'm still a newbie here, but thanks to wonderful advice from this board one of my chicks (miraculously, I must say) survived pasty butt after suffering with it for almost 3 days [​IMG] (poor thing went almost 20 hours before she finally pooped). Her vent was swollen and red, and so very, very plugged. I felt so bad for her - broke my heart!! The "wonderful advice":
    Regularly (I mean like min. 8 times a day) soak her little bottom in warm running water. I soaked mine for a minute or more at a time. Clean any stuck on poop off with a clean paper towel, then give her a good swabbing of Vaseline or Olive oil all over the outside of the vent (to prevent poop from sticking), and, gently using a cotton swab, just inside the vent too. I also carefully monitored the temp. in her "hospital box", and watched closely to make sure she was eating and drinking (which she only did sparingly for a while). Like I said, she made it. And then I slept for a good 12 hours to recover myself!
    Hope your little one will be OK!

6. Barry

I found her dead this morning. The lesson that I learned is to carefully check every chick regularly and never let the problem get to the point that this did.
    Now whenever I see a chick that is doing anything abnormal, I will pay special attention to it. The living chicks will benefit from her short life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by