PASTY BUTT!!!!! HELP!!!!

I have heard that too that if the heat is too high it will cause pasty butt. I have 8 chicks and only one has it and I have noticed she gets hotter than the rest while the rest seem fine with heat and no pasty butt. I have her vent clean but I am going to soak the bottom like you all said and see if I can get the sticky parts on feathers off, because it's upsetting her. Thank you for the posts two years ago. All I had to do was search pasty butt and knew I'd find help. Great forum!

thank u as well, i searched also and found some info.
I just soaked her butt in peroxide and she was screaming. it took awhile to get the dried poop off.
Then i wondered if it was itchy, so i soaked her real quick in some warm water, to rinse the peroxide off. her vent, or something, is protrudding..do u think it will heal itself? the other 3 from the same hatch are fine, no pasty butt and no protrusion..

Its hard being a mom!!
barnie.gif
my heart is pounding cuz she is still peeping loudly. jeez.

I separated her in the brooder for awhile and wrapped her in a towel under the light cuz she was all wet from jumping into the water dish!
fl.gif

but the good thing is... i got most of it off!! and she did poop again right away. ahhh
i hope she forgives me and i relax soon lol
thanku

Okay, this is for the next chick that gets a pasty butt -

1. When they get a pastyB that could mean that they've been in the heat lamp too long (or at least thats what i've heard)

2. I don't "rip" it off, soak it, or drench in in peroxide, I simply -

A) Take 2-3 sheets of paper towel
B) Go to your sink and soak it in warm water, then squeeze it so it is just damp.
C) Go over to your chick, pick her/him up and place him in your hands.
D) Take the Damp cloth and rap it around it's rear end
wink.png

E) Hold it there for a few seconds so the poop is fairly wet.
F) Gently take two fingers and place them over the paper towel.
G) Next, while the poop is wet, squeeze it over the poop area and ever so slightly pull.
wink.png

*note*
Do this fast, not slowly and painfully!
H) Throw the paper towel away and wash your hands
I) Finally, go over to your chick and pet it, so it doesn't get scared of you.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
One of my chicks had a serious case of pasty butt. It was stuck on like you wouldn't believe, so we had to snip off the feathers the clump of poop was attached to. It hasn't been an issue since.
I've also heard that it's caused by stress and/or cool temperatures...

When I got my chicks,they had passty butt so I just used a wet wip to get it off, but there is deff. a better way the get it off. once I got it off I boiled
some egg and gave it to them. Affter a few days it cleard up. hope i helped.

Back
Top Bottom