1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Butt - how/when to clean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MicheleE, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MicheleE

MicheleE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    I have a couple of chickens that have poopy feathers near their vent. Do I need to clean? If so how do I clean? Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    Gently wash with some warm water. I have used baby shampoo if it is really bad. Follow up with some vaseline.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    As for when to clean, whenever you can talk yourself into washing a chicken's butt. For me, that takes more than a few minutes. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Yes, wash the dirty feathers a.s.a.p. but I have to tell you- I've had a lot of dirty butts through here but we had our first truly pasty chick last week. The vent itself kept sealing shut, like it was pooping super glue or something! Eek.

5. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    If your chooks are having a consistent problem there may be something that is causing the pasty bottoms. I find that when I have hens with dirty butts it's time to worm them.

6. poultry guy

poultry guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    When:right away because if not cleaned right away it can result in death.
    How: with a warm paper towl if it does not come of dip the chicks vent in some warm water then try to wipe it of again.

7. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've found that the easiest way to clean crusty butts is children's bubble-bath/soak. It doesn't require rinsing, and you don't have to immerse the whole chicken.

Prepare a small wash tub with warm water and half cap-full of bath liquid. Have some terry hand towels handy. With the chicken under your left arm, back her up to the basin. Splash warm, sudsy water onto the crust until it softens and loosens, then gently pull it off the feathers. This generally takes no more than a few minutes, then towel or blow dry.

I do crusty feet the same way. With the chicken's head cradled under your arm, they usually feel calm, and backing them up to the wash basin is a natural position for them.

8. MicheleE

MicheleE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Thank you for all the great suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by