Pasty Butt in week-old chicks

mybackyardhobbyfarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 18, 2014
B.C. Canada
I’ve got 6 bantam birchen Cochin chicks. 2 of them have had pasty butt since I got them(about a week). I’ve been cleaning thier bums regularly with warm wetted paper towel sponge. After that I put coconut oil on and around thier vent to soothe and loosen their fluff. Is there anything more I can be doing ? These two are starting to be noticeably smaller then the others. What helps pasty butt?

I have the same problem but the one chick I have with Pasty Butt is only 2 days old. The heat couldn't be a problem??, as the chicks(8 of them) are in a "mama" brooder and I checked the temp as 95 touching "mama"'s skeleton. Ambient temperature in my tractor shed is 35 - 50, so they run out eat, drink, scratch around and run back to mama.
I cleaned the chick, added ACV to the water. Another of the threads said to make sure the chicks have grit (doing that now). One piece of advice, after you wash your chick's butt a hair dryer on warm flufs up the feathers/down better than any towel I used could dry her. Thanks for all the advice everyone offers.

Back
Top Bottom