Pasty Butt? Newbie Question

Kyle241

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
I have read that pasty butt is a sign of possible disease or is it the cause of disease? Also considering chicks poop so often some remains on their butts, do you do anything about it? We received our chicks yesterday (4 PR's & 2 RIR's) and this morning their butts are dirty. I'm thinking this is normal but wanted to ask! If you do clean them up, how do you do it? We currently have paper towels down over pine shavings and have replaced the towels once already and plan on doing it twice a day and then will remove them altogether the third day.

Thank you!

Pasty butt can cause a chick to be unable to eliminate waste and that leads rapidly to death. So yes, you do need to clean it off if it's over their vent at all. I had one pasty chick and used a warm, damp washcloth to gently wash the crusties away. She needed two treatments in total and quickly outgrew the problem.

Just use warm water to clean the poop off their butts, then use a little oil to keep the poop from sticking this happens with chicks it does not mean they are sick just happens. Good luck.

Quote:
If pasty butt persists, mix some mollasses in their water to look like weak tea for a day. Mollassas is a natural laxative for fowl. Pasty butt can be caused by the stress of shipping among other things. Keep their butts clean and they should be fine.......Pop

I washed my chicks rear end under warm running water. I gently blew dried them and cut carefully the fluff on their rear end. I had most trouble with my d'uccle bantam. I washed her everyday for two weeks. She is 7 weeks now and doing very well!

I have one right now that I am treating. I pour a small amount of peroxide on the pasties and then wash off with a warm rag and rinse under warm water. Then pat dry and I apply vaseline to the part where the pasties are sticking. I clean her twice a day and she is slowly clearing up.

I have found that giving them alittle yogurt mixed with their crumble every couple days has helped with pasty butt....I don't see it as often now!

I was told and also read to keep sand in the brooders, cages and so on. I now keep it in all of my cages that have chicks and no longer have a problem with pasty butts. I don't know if they eat some of it and that is the way it helps or what, but I don't really care as long as it works. I had a problem with my chicks at the beginning with the pasty butts and it really kept me busy trying to keep them all clean. But now since I use the sand, no problems as of yet and have been using is since the first of the year. You can get bags of play sand (which is what I use) at lowes. I usually watch for damaged bags that they mark and get it for half price.

Back
Top Bottom