Pasty butt or something else?

jm22508

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm sorry for another pasty butt thread, but I've searched through several others and am not sure that's what I'm up against. I've been outside working on a coop all day and came in to notice my new RIR (hatched on Friday) seems extremely lethargic. I watched her for a while, and anytime I'd reach into the the brooding pen, she'd hardly move when I went to grab her. Further, when I place her back in the pen, she sit in the same spot and starts to doze off.

Then I noticed some poop trailing down her backside. I cleaned it off and inspected, and noticed she had what looked like a pasty vent. I held it under warm water for several minutes and then went to try to wipe it off, but noticed it seemed to actually be below her vent. Almost looks like a scab.

I'm at a loss and she doesn't seem to want to drink sugar water, and is still sitting very still. Help, please!

She may have an infected umbilical cord (oomphalitis) or just a wound. I'd put a little bag balm or Neospirin or other antibiotic ointment on it, and hope. You may not get a good outcome.

Don't use anything with a "caine" drug in it, such as cetacaine, benzocaine, etc.

Back
Top Bottom