Pasty butt prevention?

Several of my 4 day old chicks have pasty butt and I tried using the Q-tip idea with olive oil and it works like a charm!
cool.png

I did all of the above, so I'm not sure what worked but here goes. The Storey's guide said to give them a little fiber, by mixing equal parts of corn meal (the kind you find in the baking section of the grocery store) and oat meal. (if you have whole oats grind them up into small bits in a blender or food processor). I also gave them a little grit to help them digest a little. I had chick grit in there, but they didn't touch it. I put a shallow dish of quick crete's PLAY SAND in there for a while for them to munch on and scratch in. I took it out after about a half hour.

I also gave their butts a dunk in the sink and loosened all the poo. After that I smeared each bottom with a bit of vaseline, and some with olive oil. (I used two different things on different chicks to compare how each one worked). Neither seamed to work better than the other. I just used the lubricant to matt the feathers down in all directions to prevent future stick-ons.

The first 3 chicks I got I KNOW were chilled in transit, they all got pasty butt. I also gave them sav-a-chik mixed in with their water. The second batch of chicks did not get the electrolyte solution, but a few got it anyway. I washed, smeared, and gave the sand and chopped scratch. Today they are doing well. I hear they can also outgrow it, so it is possible that it went away on its own too.
hu.gif

Not sure what worked, but that's what I did. Good luck!

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding crazy.....

I give them 'haircuts'. If they're military short down there, there's nothing to paste to. You'll feel like a crazyperson while you do it, but it's much better than constant smearing, adjusting food, soaking, or (heaven forbid), plucking.

Now everyone who reads my post will envision me staring at a chick's patoot with a very intense expression, and caaaaaaarefully trimming it with scissors.
hide.gif
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom