Pasty Butt to Constipation?

mapurcel

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Norfolk County MA
Good Afternoon,

I cleaned a chick from pasty butt and caught her doing like a sort of wheezing noise while trying to poop. The brooder is down to 90. Her vent is a little inflamed but can fully move.

I have a week old chick that has chronic pasty butt. She is the only one to have it.

The brooder is 90 and I am feeding them starter feed, vitamins, probiotics, and yogurt. She has had this affliction for days now and she's starting to look smaller than the rest (not gaining weight). She is interested in food, but often looks puffed and eyes half open.

Recently, there started to be a noise when she poops. I can't tell if this is her vent or lungs. Recently very little poop came out and she looks like she's having trouble going. It seems even the smallest amount of liquid can paste up her vent. The vent looks swollen.

I don't know what else I can do while I watch the little dear get weaker.

Advice?

Last edited:
Is your whole brooder 90F or just one spot?

Photos of the poop and her vent may be helpful.

Is she drinking at all?
I would get her hydrated.
Clean off her vent regularly if it's pasting over.
How are you cleaning her?

If she's having difficulty and is NOT lethargic, then giving her bum a little soak in warm epsom salts bath may help get things moving.
The difficulty breathing is very concerning - constipation may be part of it, hard to know.
I would try to get a little coconut oil or mineral oil into her too - see if that helps with constipation. Once she's drinking, then offer a little wet soupy feed.

* also, I understand this can be distressing and you want quick answers - everyone does. Not everyone is always on line and there are many that are waiting for help and replies as well. It would be nice if you started one thread and stuck with that so all your answers are in the same place instead of trying to keep up with multiple threads. Thanks for your patience.

Is your whole brooder 90F or just one spot?

Photos of the poop and her vent may be helpful.

Is she drinking at all?
I would get her hydrated.
Clean off her vent regularly if it's pasting over.
How are you cleaning her?

If she's having difficulty and is NOT lethargic, then giving her bum a little soak in warm epsom salts bath may help get things moving.
The difficulty breathing is very concerning - constipation may be part of it, hard to know.
I would try to get a little coconut oil or mineral oil into her too - see if that helps with constipation. Once she's drinking, then offer a little wet soupy feed.

* also, I understand this can be distressing and you want quick answers - everyone does. Not everyone is always on line and there are many that are waiting for help and replies as well. It would be nice if you started one thread and stuck with that so all your answers are in the same place instead of trying to keep up with multiple threads. Thanks for your patience.

Sorry for double posting. A member on a different thread I was reading suggested it so I didn't know if it was may accepted here or not.

How is your chick?
Well the good news is she is not nearly as pasty probe anymore! Diligently dabbing antibiotic cream/Preparation H and adding ACV to water helped a lot with that. I also gave her some pineapple juice and coconut oil to help with constipation.

She stopped losing weight (maybe even gaining a little?! :D ). I rotate nutridrench/ACV in water and give the whole flock water/nutridrench soaked feed. They love it. I’m careful to change the damp bedding often.

She is still lethargic but after moving them all to a larger brooder in a tub (cardboard lined) with more space and cooler areas, everyones energy is noticeably up! She’s a fighter for sure! :clap

The only problem left seems to be respiratory. She’s had crackly breathing and had been breathing heavily consistently for over a week now. I’m concerned about a secondary infection. Within a few days 3 others started bubbling very faintly but don’t show signs of lethargy yet. Not sure if they aspirated from wet food, from past brooder being hot, or bacteria.

I ordered Baytril 10 online and am waiting for it to arrive on Wednesday.:fl I think once I administer it (syringe, oral to crackly chicks only) and provide probiotic feed, with time I will finally kick illness out of this flock!

In the meantime she has a very supportive little flock to give her comfort! She’s in the middle of this snuggle fest :)

I will update when I administer meds. Thanks for checking in!

Attachments

• 77E6706A-1BEB-4D52-82DF-78B55BC1841D.jpeg
    77E6706A-1BEB-4D52-82DF-78B55BC1841D.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 2
Okay, so it has been two days since administering Baytril 10 orally to the sick chicks. I added water to make it a large enough dose to be syringe administered. I had to measure out .0045 mL of medicine which is roughly half of a drop.

There is such an improvement in Gizmo's behavior! She is running around, getting into a feeding frenzy like everyone else, and less lethargy naps!! :wee :woot:ya:celebrate

She is still breathing a bit hard because she has fluid in her lungs, but I think we will make a full recovery. I can not thank everyone enough for helping me to save this little bantam chick's life. From the bottom of my heart thank you. :love

Back
Top Bottom