Pasty Butt??

Morelia

Hatching
Mar 27, 2020
I’m not sure if my chick has pasty butt? She get butt stuck to her and I clean her but she’s totally fine! She has electrolyte water and probiotics food! So idk what to do?

Some chicks just require some help in the department. Just keep an eye on it , that it remains clean and that the chick is eating and drinking. And that the other chicks are not showing the same symptoms.

how old is the chick and have you changed the brand of feed? Sometimes that can do it too. Or to hot ect.

Some chicks just require some help in the department. Just keep an eye on it , that it remains clean and that the chick is eating and drinking. And that the other chicks are not showing the same symptoms.

how old is the chick and have you changed the brand of feed? Sometimes that can do it too. Or to hot ect.
Yeah I have changed the food and the food but it made it worse? And I have a thermometer that regulates the temperature

How old is the chick and what temperature are you keeping it at? Pasty butt can kill the chick but mostly it means you need to check that baby's butt at least twice a day. Wash it gently with warm water without pulling at the lump of poop. Unless there is something else going on it stops by the time they're a couple weeks old. Watch any other chicks you have for pasty butt just in case.

Higher temperatures are a possible contributor to pasty butt, so depending on age of chick and what you're heat source is set to, aiming for the low end of recommended temperature may help a bit.

I'm having trouble with this too. I have 3 Barred Rock chicks, brought them home 5/22. One of the 3 has pasty butt, the other two are totally fine. Pasty butt is acting totally normal, eating, drinking, active like the others, and she doesn't have PB every day. I wash the area with warm wet paper towel and put Vaseline on it afterward. I also watch them for awhile to make sure the other chicks don't peck at her there. The globs haven't actually been on her vent, but just below, so I haven't totally freaked out yet, but monitor her closely. She'll probably turn out to hate me :rolleyes:

What are the electrolytes that are suggested for the water and where do I get them? I think I've seen Pedialtye mentioned somewhere, and I have the powdered version in fruit flavors, but assume you need plain? Our Tractor Supply has nothing like electrolytes for chickens. Any advice appreciated!

I'm having trouble with this too. I have 3 Barred Rock chicks, brought them home 5/22. One of the 3 has pasty butt, the other two are totally fine. Pasty butt is acting totally normal, eating, drinking, active like the others, and she doesn't have PB every day. I wash the area with warm wet paper towel and put Vaseline on it afterward. I also watch them for awhile to make sure the other chicks don't peck at her there. The globs haven't actually been on her vent, but just below, so I haven't totally freaked out yet, but monitor her closely. She'll probably turn out to hate me :rolleyes:

What are the electrolytes that are suggested for the water and where do I get them? I think I've seen Pedialtye mentioned somewhere, and I have the powdered version in fruit flavors, but assume you need plain? Our Tractor Supply has nothing like electrolytes for chickens. Any advice appreciated!
You're doing fine, just be sure to check it twice a day at a minimum. Feed stores generally have the electrolyte chick additive and @3 NH reds suggestion is good too. And take heart, the poopy butt phase seldom last more than a week or two.

I have nothing more to add, as everyone's suggestions are great. I'll just say that I had one chick who had pasty butt for almost two weeks. She's now my lap chicken as I had to handle her the most out of all the other chickens. We've been through a lot together :)

Back
Top Bottom