Pasty Butt...

is it possible to just trim the little fuzz around the bum? I did this to my RIR hen when she got a little poo on her rear, and I notices my other hen starting to peck at it
sickbyc.gif

Thanks everyone!!!

I'm so scared to take the scissors to their fuzz back there. They just squirm too much for that at this point. I read somewhere to give them yogurt with probiotics to help their gut digest their food better? Well, I had DH pick some up on his ride home and gave it to them. They decided it was more fun to run through it than actually eat some
big_smile.png
I'll also have to try the vasoline! It did seem I had fewer chicks to clean this evening so maybe it's getting better
thumbsup.gif

Thanks again for all your tips!

~Liz

I had good luck with the fuzz haircut. just hold her in your fist gently but firmly with the butt pointed kind of up. Use good lighting and small sharp scissors. My chick fell asleep during this! Her butt stayed pretty clean after this plus vaseline. and no one is pecking at her butt now (yay!).
good luck

Quote:
You could try blunt ended safety scissors, like they make for kids, if your chicks are too squirmy.That's what I used on my hen. There is also another post on here somewhere about someone grinding up oats(like for oatmeal) and giving that to the chicks in their food. They had pretty good success with that. I'm sure if you googled it, the BYC thread would come up, maybe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom