Pasty butt??????

do a search for pasty butt before you try to remove it! If it is really stuck to their butt/vent then you can do some damage it you try to just tear it off. soak it with warm water to soften it. I like using que tips for doing it or a warm rag if its a lot. You will probly have to do it every couple hours or so for a day or 2???? Depends on what caused it in the first place.

Good luck

Yesterday, one of my chicks developed a dirty butt after being home about 8 hours. I used a warm wet cloth to clean her off as best I could but chick poop is part gorilla glue and some of it was really stuck. I stopped cleaning when I saw her little vent puckering.

I tried giving the chicks some plain yogurt but none of them liked it (too cold?). So I tossed a tablespoon of parakeet grit on the floor of their brooder. Each grabbed a couple of the smaller particles. I figured they would have access to grit in the wild so it couldn't hurt.

Today all are eating, drinking and pooping. No additional pasty butts. My little dirty butt is now my best pooper. She still has some dried residue stuck to her down but it isn't interfering with her vent so I'm not going to stress her by trying to clean it off.

I am working on pure instinct and have a total of 30 hour of chicken raising experience. I hope I did the right thing.

Last edited:
Any time I've dealt with pasty butt, I just wet my finger with warm water and get the little blob softened up. Keep wetting as required until the poop softens up and it comes away easily. Eyedropper also works. Don't want to damage the chick but do want to get the vent clear.

A fellow BYC'er swears by using a TBSP of unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. I've always just made it a routine to check, and use a wet cloth or Q tip and wipe it 'till its clear. Its always the same chick.... at least for me it was! Sometimes the problem worsens if the heat is inadequate, you might want to put a thermometer in there, and check the ambient temperature. 100 - 5 degrees for every week old they are.

2 of my silkies had pasty butt. I would run their bottoms under luke warm water until the poop was moist enough to wipe off with light rubbing. I used wet paper towels to wipe with too!

This is my first go around with babies too.....I also have crusty butts (nothin pasty about it)If you soak their little butts in warm water do you have to dry it also with like a dryer or can you just dry it best you can with a towel and stick them back under the light?

Back
Top Bottom