Pasty butt???

jeepgrl68

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
I got my first baby chicks 2 days ago. A couple of them have dry poo on there little bums.. Is this pasty butt?? I did try and clean it off, but I am not sure how hard I can wipe.. I am afraid im going to hurt them..
Lori J

You can soften it with a wet cloth and wipe it off. I've heard of others using mineral oil. If, its not too bad, you can pull it off. This will pull the down off with it. Ouch!. Be carful with just ripping it off, as it can pull skin off with it, if it's stuck too well. The one advantage of pulling it off and removing the down, is that it gives the poop nothing to stick to and lessens the chance of it happening again. Yeah, a little harsh, but its the method I usually use. I'm a low maintenance kind of chicken guy.

I had a bunch last year. It was bad. I filled the sink with very warm water and put the chicks but in it and soaked it for a while and picked it of with my fingernails. That worked to get it off except for one it had it so bad, I squealed a grape sized hard poop lump out of its butt. They all survived except one ( it must have been that one)
I read online to give them dirt with the grass and all and they will not have pasty but again.

I read online to give them dirt with the grass and all and they will not have pasty but again.
Yeah, I've heard a little clean sand in their food works, too.
I never have a problem with my own hatches, just the shipped chicks. The shipping stress is a little hard on the chicks' systems, at times.

Please be careful when you "pull", you can cause a bleeding place which can easily set into infection for the babies. Try just a small amount of molasses in their water it helps prevent this and clears it up too! Enjoy your babies!

Back
Top Bottom