Pasty Butt

LavenderCrow

Songster
7 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Tennessee
Alright, so, I've done quite a bit to fight off this whole ordeal and nothing I do seems to be working. I bought a few chicks from Tractor Supply a couple days ago. Boosted their water with Probiotics, just a smidge of ACV, and just plain ol' water. Moved the heat lamp up, noticed they were too cold, moved it down, seems a little warm but they're not all clumped up anymore and spread out somewhat evenly. Still, the pasty butt continues. Sparingly used vaseline and mineral oil. Now I've got one chick that cries loudly and won't stop, and it's vent looks rather swollen. Treated it with iodine for the moment, but it's not really quieted down.

What is the best way to stop the pasty butt? Seems like every few hours I'm soaking and cleaning butts, applying vaseline/oil, and repeating. Never had any problems with pasty butt before... All of my chicks have been bought from small farms, not hatcheries.

Add one teaspoon organic ACV or Mother's ACV to one quart of water. I have used diaper rash cream in the past on pasty butt that started to get red or swollen and that seemed to work well. Are you feeding medicated chick feed? I would if you are not.

I do about a capful of Braggs ACV in their chick waterer. I'm pretty sure my chick feed isn't medicated, which I didn't even think about. I'll go buy some tomorrow. I might use some Neosporin on the chick's bum tomorrow, the kind safe for animals. I'm really hoping no one is picking.

Back
Top Bottom