Patiently waiting for our 22 1/2 week old Barred Rocks to start laying!

SIIIIIIGGGHHHH will it ever happen! I go out there several times, everyday hoping to find that at least one of my three girls have started to lay.. nope. Someone told me on another thread to leave them cooped or in run until they start laying so that's what I've been doing the past couple weeks. No luck yet. Getting so impatient!! I've tried the cat food, and the cayenne pepper that I saw on here. NO luck yet.. I guess only time will tell? Our other "group" of chickens.. which are some kind of mixed game fowl.. the only layer we have is Granny.. she lays six eggs a week! Her day of rest.. Sunday :D

Last edited:
My bsl didn't lay till 22 weeks. Others are 23 weeks and not laying yet. It will happen anytime. I think these stories of 16-18 week egg layers are rare and give others false hope. I would imagine 23-24 weeks is a more realistic average of first egg age.

My bsl didn't lay till 22 weeks. Others are 23 weeks and not laying yet. It will happen anytime. I think these stories of 16-18 week egg layers are rare and give others false hope. I would imagine 23-24 weeks is a more realistic average of first egg age.
Yeah I am beginning to think the same thing about the 16-18 weeks. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought that! Thank u

My BRs just started laying last week and they were 23 weeks old. They lay one a day, though, but small eggs still. They still tasted great, though.

Don't worry, your ladies are still prepping for their big debut!
Whittni, you seem pretty knowledgeable about all kind of chickens. I know this isn't the right forum, but thought maybe you would know? what kind of chicken do u think my granny is? ppl on here have told me some kind of mix game fowl, but she's laying at least 6 eggs per week, sometimes 8 days straight. and the research i've done.. they don't lay that good??

Back
Top Bottom