patimekillers Chicken grazing pen

patimekiller

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Nw pennsylvania
Here is my chicken grazers feel free to ask questions and I will keep posting things about them if I don't get it all down in one day. I have 2 pens built the same. Here is the verry first one I built it if 4x8x2 ft tall.
IMG_0097.jpg

it had wheels on the back but I took them off for my new pens.
Here are the new larger pens they are 2 ft tall 8ft wide 14 ft long
IMG_0075.jpg

I have 50 Cornish x rocks in each pen they have lots of room. The pen is built out of 2x4 full size rough cut and the frame alone is close to 300 lbs. The pen has wheels on all 4 corners that lift / cam the pen up for transport and set it down to keep varmits out. the lift hight is 3-4 in. That allows for any bumps in the yard. The wheels are 8-13 inches in dia lawn mower wheels. They have metal bearings in them. One set I had to buy brand new @ 12.00 a wheel. One set I paid a buck a wheel to a guy who was junking a high wheel mower. The other 2 sets I got for free.
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079-1.jpg

the cam bracket is 5 inches of3/4 rigid pipe welded to hold the wheel and a handle the attatchment point on the pen is a 5/8 bolt 10 in long( these came from local electric co the use them and you may be able to get some from them ) or 5/8 allthread. The handles pin in the up right position so they dant slam down on chicks while moving.
IMG_0078-1.jpg

one person can lift and move roughly 400 lbs of pen in less than 5 min. My waterer is just a bell waterer hooked up to a five gallon gravity feed
a9c4e77f.jpg

the water is suspended off the ground by a few in when pen is down. My feeder is a 30 lb feeder that goes on a pully system to get it under the roof so it stays dry.
7c8e794e.jpg

06b51c94.jpg

the pipe has 1 half inch nut to space it down so the ring can slide out
4b62196b.jpg

the feeder also is a few in off the ground.
9fa41b8a.jpg

there are a few things I would change so if you would like to know I will post what I think needs changed later my batt on my phone isn't gonna last much longer. Last but not least Josie our Jack Russel is checking on her babys
3f609d1f.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I have to give credit where it due

father in law -thanks for the wood and help assembling and putting up with me
wife- she came up with the grazed chicken idea from some where she also kind of let me go on design except roof to sun light ratio I wanted more roof she said more light.......

They got more light

Back
Top Bottom