Patsy & the babies **pics**

noodleroo

Snuggles with Chickens
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Rockport, Tx
The chicks are getting heavier and Patsy doesn't really tolerate them on her anymore; she gets up, they jump off and she lays back down. They like to sleep under her bed and she waits until they get up before getting on it herself. Its so cute. I think the last pic is my one buff orp. roo. Its comb and tail feathers are different than the other 10. Time will tell. Anyway, here are the pics:
55921_watching_babies.jpg

55921_patsy_and_chick.jpg

55921_wanting_to_snuggle.jpg

55921_under_bed.jpg

55921_patsy_on_the_bed.jpg

55921_a_little_roo.jpg

So cute! I've been teaching my dog "No chickens!" and he's gotten really good at restraining himself, but I'm sure he'll never be as good as your doggy!

Thank you all for the compliments; I love my animals very much.

Patsy is 2 years old and a real blessing in my life. She is what they call a 'pet quality' collie; she has the infamous 'collie eye anomilie' - a partially separated retna in her right eye. She doesn't know that she can't see well out of it and we don't use her to try to herd anything. She is just my pet. Goes everywhere in the house or the property with me or DH. She was so easy to train; I swear she understands sentences. She has lots of her own toys. I think that helps her learn what is 'hers' and what is 'mine'. She stuck her head in the brooder every time I stuck my hand in it and the chicks are very comfortable with her (obviously), but she knows they are 'mine'. And RebekahNicole; your dog can be just as good or better-it just takes love and training....

Collie's are awesome awesome dogs. I'm trying to find another tri colored rough collie. I like the other colors but I think the Tri's are much more majestic looking for some reason...I had one growing up and she was the most awesome dog, and I want another dog, but I dont want to pay 700+ for a 'pet quality' puppy from one of the collie breeders near me!!!!!! that is just crazy. sorry but the vet I take my dogs and cats to can do everything these breeders do to their dogs and pups for about a third the price!!!

My dogs are good around the chickens too! They were not at first. I think the peeping chicks sounded like dog toys. One of my dogs killed a chick - but I kept a close watch on him and he is really good around the chickens - even the stray cats I feed are good around the chickens but the chicks and the bantams are still interesting. My bantam roos took care of chasing off the cats once and now they give them a healthy margin. It does take constant watching and lots of praise.

I was collecting eggs (I got three at the time) and I put one down to close the egg door and my dog lilly picked it up in her mouth. She gave it to me right away. Not sure if she thought I was giving it to her or if she thought it was a ball but she has never taken one again.

Caroline

This is where Patsy came from: http://www.colliesonline.com/breeders/mirabeau_collies.php The breeder is a friend of mine and has some beautiful dogs. 'ScaredOfShadows', you might contact her as she has contacts all over the county. She may even know of a collie rescue that may be able to help you out....

Yesterday I noticed a pattern. I think Patsy was actually guarding the babies. I don't know if it is her herding instincts kicking in or what but as the chicks venture further and further around the yard, she makes sure that she is no more than a few yards away - resting and watching. Its getting really hot in south Texas now and I don't leave her outside in the heat of the day. She loves to get in the water so if she gets hot, she just gets her front legs in the watergarden. She likes to drink from it too, and, the goldfish come up to her tongue when whe laps! Like I said, everything I have is reciculously tame....

Back
Top Bottom