pavlovskaya Chick breathing heavy, mouth open, lethargic

Chickiedeee

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
Hey everyone,

please take a moment to comment if you have any advice. I’m new to chicks. I have several different breeds from rural king and two from a breeder. The one I’m currently having issues with is a pavlovskaya chick. I thought perhaps it was hot because it seems fluffier than my other chicks and it’s got hairy feet. It’s straight run. I tried cooling it down it complained. The chick is breathing heavy. When it chirps it shakes and Shrills a bit not a regular chirp. It breathes heavy even when it’s sleeping. I have given it water with hydrohen with a syringe to see that it actually drinks and I have seen it drinking. I have had 4 other chicks die in the past few days, 2 I brought home from rural king out of 4 from the same group that were on their final hours, (felt bad seeing them getting trampled) then suddenly the following day another out of the 4 passed away unexpectedly it seemed fine but the last one is huge (golden pullet) seems to be growing faster than them all. one of my polish that was on the smaller side Was struggling to thrive, had pasty butt and was also breathing heavy died after a long battle to survive. We fed it egg, and made sure it was hydrated and comfortable, sugar water, egg yolk but sadly it still passed away. Now I’m noticing the pavlovskaya chick is breathing heavy and lethargic and I’m thinking something is going on with the chicks. I’m not seeing blood in their poop tho it’s looking kinda runny in many of them. And I’m not sure if it’s respiratory and that’s why they are breathing heavy with their beaks open. They are all about 2-7 days old. I have the little ones in one brooder and the bigger ones in another. They have bed sheets for padding with wee wee pads over them and another sheet for comfort. They have water that I clean out at least twice a day and I clean their brooders out twice a day at least. They have fresh medicated chick feed. Nothing extra yet. They have red heat lamps over about half of each brooder to keep them warm but give them the option to move away. I have cleaned their bottoms and made sure none of them have pasty butt so at this point idk why they are getting sick and dying. I really want to avoid losing another chick. So terramycin? Corid? Or what? I’m thinking antibiotic because of the heavy breathing weird chirping might be wheezing. Or corrid cuz of runny poops? Or both? Or something else. Please help me and dosage as well.

This is the antibiotic I suggest as it sounds like the chicks have a respiratory illness. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ This mixes with their drinking water and you should just treat them all.

Getting chicks from a feed store is often safer than chicks from a breeder since you don't know how serious they are about biosecurity. Chicks from a feed store can become infected, but it's less likely since they just recently came from a hatchery with strict controls on disease. So that would be my guess as to what is sickening your chicks. Sounds like you're doing everything else right.

If you have a mister or vaporizer, you can pour some Betadine or Oxine into the water and mist it over the chicks to breathe in. It can start to help kill the bacteria in their respiratory systems while you tract down the antibiotic.

Pics of their poop seems pretty normal but idk what normal is I guess.

Attachments

• C65B02C7-8576-490C-B1B2-6CAB2A3BE5A7.jpeg
    C65B02C7-8576-490C-B1B2-6CAB2A3BE5A7.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E65D053D-06CE-4286-85B8-C91EA28CFCFB.jpeg
    E65D053D-06CE-4286-85B8-C91EA28CFCFB.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 7
  • AF1F26E2-AB3C-409A-A880-2BD5CFD93DAE.jpeg
    AF1F26E2-AB3C-409A-A880-2BD5CFD93DAE.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 7
This is the antibiotic I suggest as it sounds like the chicks have a respiratory illness. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ This mixes with their drinking water and you should just treat them all.

Getting chicks from a feed store is often safer than chicks from a breeder since you don't know how serious they are about biosecurity. Chicks from a feed store can become infected, but it's less likely since they just recently came from a hatchery with strict controls on disease. So that would be my guess as to what is sickening your chicks. Sounds like you're doing everything else right.

If you have a mister or vaporizer, you can pour some Betadine or Oxine into the water and mist it over the chicks to breathe in. It can start to help kill the bacteria in their respiratory systems while you tract down the antibiotic.
Okay thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it!! I will get on it right away!!

Hey I'm sorry to hear about your babies💔 something similar happened to me... same but not exactly but I got alot of help here , I'm not an expert but I can tag someone who helped me when I was stressing out. @azygous you were very helpful, thanks again. And best of luck @Chickiedeee
Thank you very much for the help. You’re so kind to help me find some help!! Thanks again

Hey everyone,

please take a moment to comment if you have any advice. I’m new to chicks. I have several different breeds from rural king and two from a breeder. The one I’m currently having issues with is a pavlovskaya chick. I thought perhaps it was hot because it seems fluffier than my other chicks and it’s got hairy feet. It’s straight run. I tried cooling it down it complained. The chick is breathing heavy. When it chirps it shakes and Shrills a bit not a regular chirp. It breathes heavy even when it’s sleeping. I have given it water with hydrohen with a syringe to see that it actually drinks and I have seen it drinking. I have had 4 other chicks die in the past few days, 2 I brought home from rural king out of 4 from the same group that were on their final hours, (felt bad seeing them getting trampled) then suddenly the following day another out of the 4 passed away unexpectedly it seemed fine but the last one is huge (golden pullet) seems to be growing faster than them all. one of my polish that was on the smaller side Was struggling to thrive, had pasty butt and was also breathing heavy died after a long battle to survive. We fed it egg, and made sure it was hydrated and comfortable, sugar water, egg yolk but sadly it still passed away. Now I’m noticing the pavlovskaya chick is breathing heavy and lethargic and I’m thinking something is going on with the chicks. I’m not seeing blood in their poop tho it’s looking kinda runny in many of them. And I’m not sure if it’s respiratory and that’s why they are breathing heavy with their beaks open. They are all about 2-7 days old. I have the little ones in one brooder and the bigger ones in another. They have bed sheets for padding with wee wee pads over them and another sheet for comfort. They have water that I clean out at least twice a day and I clean their brooders out twice a day at least. They have fresh medicated chick feed. Nothing extra yet. They have red heat lamps over about half of each brooder to keep them warm but give them the option to move away. I have cleaned their bottoms and made sure none of them have pasty butt so at this point idk why they are getting sick and dying. I really want to avoid losing another chick. So terramycin? Corid? Or what? I’m thinking antibiotic because of the heavy breathing weird chirping might be wheezing. Or corrid cuz of runny poops? Or both? Or something else. Please help me and dosage as well.
Can you post a video of them? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of the whole brooder if possible.
Where did the red lamp come from - was it purchased at the feed store?

This is one of two videos trying to figure out YouTube. And yes I got the red lamp from rural king and tractor supply

This video is longer. Shows the two set ups I have the first one is the bigger chicks and the second is the smaller ones. The way the chick is behaving I don’t think he’s gonna live very long. They are piggies but I’ve been changing out the pads and food and water frequently and checking their butts so im trying to keep them from getting sick from being dirty. Towards the end you see how he’s breathing with his mouth open and passing out standing up I moved him from the water because he was falling asleep with his head in his bowl. I set up a baby camera so I can check on him hopefully he doesn’t drown either.

Back
Top Bottom