pavlovskaya?

Thanks for the info! I just ordered 12 Pav hatching eggs of Greenfire Farm lines because I’ve got a broody BC Maran. The farm I ordered the eggs from warned me that when the chicks hatch they will be more fragile that more common breeds. I’m curious to see what the hatch rate is with this breed and now I guess also the survival rate This broody Maran has hatched for me before so I’m hoping she’s up for the challenge!

So I ended up with a male and female after selling the others. Mine are beautiful but terribly dumb. And kind of spooky...maybe because they can’t see through their crests? I put them on par with Polish, pretty, but dumb.

Interesting! I would’ve hoped they were a little brighter for being such an old breed but maybe that’s why they were nearly extinct!
May I ask what price you sold the others for and at what age? Out of my 15 pack eggs (the lady threw in three extras) I got a hatch of 11 but lost 2 due to stall out and yolk sack so a week later I’ve got 9 healthy chicks which is one of the better hatches I’ve had. They sure are cute but I’m ready to sell off the roos as soon as I can sex them. I’ve read they’re average for sexing at roughly 3-4mo?

I paid $15 a piece as day old chicks (4 survived) and gave one female to a dear friend, and the other was a "free rooster with purchase of pullets". Unfortunately in my area (very rural) people don't really know or care about fancy roosters. Free roosters abound on craigslist, I assume people eat them or cockfight them, who knows. I don't think a pav would be good for either. About the only way I can "sell" them is as a pair or part of a mini-flock. But in your area it might be different. I think selling as male/ female pairs you can ask a decent price. My little roolet had nice red wattles at around 10 weeks. He has almost no comb (but what he has got red pretty fast) and giant crest that flops to one side. I think I will call him Elvis. :lol:

We had 3.
Flighty, a very average chicken
Coyotes ate two.
Last one is barely 2+ years old and will die (axe) today from something (sickness) it has acquired that I don’t care to learn about because (disease spread) the chicken has not justified its cost outside that it has uncommon feather formations atop its head. Looks cool - I’m over it. It produced an average amount of eggs yearly and it never went broody. Has zero utility on our farm.

I took some pix of my pumpkin pavlovskaya hen yesterday. She's skittish and always stays close to the flock, especially near our ayam cemani rooster. She is almost 2 1/2 yrs old and lays a small cream egg every once in a while.
MVIMG_20190920_184345~2.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190920184223775_COVER~2.jpg

I've just hatched 4 pav eggs. 3 came out brown/red and 1 is white. Both parents where black/red and red with black but carry the white gene 🤷‍♀️
I put 6 in incubator. 1 died day 3, 1 died on hatch day, egg was very porous and it hadnt got rid of the moisture :(
3 out of 4 needed assistance hatching as were in wring positions, one especially very oddly positioned but all in brooder doing well now. I'm really interested as I'm new to this particular breed. They are in with their pekin bantam c
20200617_085626.jpg
ousins and will eventually mingle with my mixed flock which has brahma, silkie, polish, ayam and leg horn.

Here is a Picture of my Russian Pavlovskaya. I really like this rare breed and My Roo is gentle. They hen is so sweet too. I would like to get a few more hens in this coloring. I live in Canada - so getting birds and eggs across the USA/Canada border can be tricky. Especially with Covid 19. ugh But show me what you have - Any Canadians out there??

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpg
    IMG_9679.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9677.jpg
    IMG_9677.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 20
Here is a Picture of my Russian Pavlovskaya. I really like this rare breed and My Roo is gentle. They hen is so sweet too. I would like to get a few more hens in this coloring. I live in Canada - so getting birds and eggs across the USA/Canada border can be tricky. Especially with Covid 19. ugh But show me what you have - Any Canadians out there??

Where abouts in Canada? Beautiful birds btw!

I’m in northwestern Washington and may breed these two next spring.

AE910BDB-C159-45EB-BF01-71F8DEE54FBE.jpeg

AD09851C-65CA-4050-8093-090CBF1D3C93.jpeg

5102DFF9-A8FF-4DB3-9406-1650196A8120.jpeg

2611BD21-41E9-4C6E-946C-02C12C299CA0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom