1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Payback feeds or Nutrena layer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by davedavey, Dec 27, 2015.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Just wondering which one is best?? Payback feeds layer or Nutrena layer. And do some people, use higher protein foods like grower or finisher and supplement with calcium? Does the grower have the same nutrients just less calcium? Thanks Dave

2. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Porter herd bull for my Yaks Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    I use payback layer and regular feed oats free choice. People rave about the taste of the eggs. The hen's seem to do very well and payback is a lot cheaper up here. If you have a local elevator that sells it check into seeing about a discount or membership which makes it cheaper yet. You can go online and compare the feeds as well.

I also always have a thing of oyster shell available I plan on staying with the payback

I start my chicks on nutrena because I can get it in crumbles and did use layer for the first year got to be cost prohibitive with over 100 hens and misc roosters. I think we are about 12.00 for a 50 lb bag of payback.

3. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Porter herd bull for my Yaks Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by