PDZ alternative

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
Its been 3 weeks that the TSC has been out of PDZ. This happens a lot. Anyone tried anything else on their poop boards? Wondering if the chickens would try to eat cat litter? Probable right, they try to eat everything. Sigh

Barn lime I think is essentially what PDZ is?

I would try baking soda before kitty litter.

My droppings boards just gets droppings... I add PDZ after I clean to any area that has odor/moisture absorbed in. I tried all kinds of different media and felt it was mostly wasted media... BUT I do like rice hulls a lot! I haven't tried them on my droppings boards YET.

Have you asked TSC when it would be in or to order any for you. My LFS had to order it for me.

I personally won't have DE (even food grade) at my place... but that might be another option for you.

Good luck! :pop

Barn lime I think is essentially what PDZ is?

I would try baking soda before kitty litter.

My droppings boards just gets droppings... I add PDZ after I clean to any area that has odor/moisture absorbed in. I tried all kinds of different media and felt it was mostly wasted media... BUT I do like rice hulls a lot! I haven't tried them on my droppings boards YET.

Have you asked TSC when it would be in or to order any for you. My LFS had to order it for me.

I personally won't have DE (even food grade) at my place... but that might be another option for you.

Good luck! :pop
They've told me twice that they ordered. It's always supposed to come in on 'Thursday'. I figure their 'Thursday' is Wimpy's Tuesday! Probably just dated myelf! :old

I use barn lime. Cheap and easy. :)
My poop board is like a big box under the roost. I usually keep it full of PDZ and cat litter scoop the poop out. Could I dump lime in it?
19.jpg

My poop board is like a big box under the roost. I usually keep it full of PDZ and cat litter scoop the poop out. Could I dump lime in it?
View attachment 1584734
Yep. Barn lime is heavy and powdery. It absorbs moisture. I use it on my poop board. It may or may not work like you expect it though.

Another option is construction sand, or the sand that comes in those tubes this time of year for weight in your vehicle. That stuff sifts well with a cat litter scoop.

I ended up driving an extra 20 min to get PDZ from another store. I grabbed a few bags. I was using a bit of pine shavings in there for the last few weeks, but Ill tell you, my coop stunk a bit! It doesn't usually smell in there. I think Ill go with some construction sand and lime mixture if I run out again.

Back
Top Bottom