PDZ storage volume?

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
I'm planning out the small shed I'm going to build to store all my chicken supplies, so I'm trying to figure out what kind/size storage containers I can use for all my items. Would a 25 pound bag of Sweet PDZ fit in a 5-gallon bucket? (I don't have a bag at the moment, otherwise I'd just measure the dimensions.)

I'm planning out the small shed I'm going to build to store all my chicken supplies, so I'm trying to figure out what kind/size storage containers I can use for all my items. Would a 25 pound bag of Sweet PDZ fit in a 5-gallon bucket? (I don't have a bag at the moment, otherwise I'd just measure the dimensions.)
I believe it may fit, -- I currently have mine in a "stack-n-store" container meant for pet food with a manufacturer reported internal volume of 18 gallons - I get my PDZ in a 40 pound bag from my feed guy and it fits comfortably in the container with some extra space above it.

I believe it may fit, -- I currently have mine in a "stack-n-store" container meant for pet food with a manufacturer reported internal volume of 18 gallons - I get my PDZ in a 40 pound bag from my feed guy and it fits comfortably in the container with some extra space above it.

I do believe it will fit.
I use 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seal lids to store all my feed, corn, grit, oyster shells, etc.
A 50lb bag of all flock crumbles or cracked corn fits into 2 buckets. It does cost more to purchase this type of bucket and lid, but the lid screws on tightly and keeps everything fresh and dry. I have found over the years of using buckets for many things (I just love buckets for whatever), the snap lids crack or break in cold weather, are difficult to get off ~ then you break one, etc. So the screw lids come in handy. (You can get the gamma seal lids at Home Depot).

yeah better deal buying several.. Lowes site has the food grade buckets for $4 something...or can find at flea mkts etc for the buckets anyway. I keep all kind of stuff in them....keeps the mice out of stuff too. of course out of the weather... Otherwise too, I will use clean new garbage cans under wings of the shed, too....
just a saying

Volume wise....it be might tight, but probably.....don't think you could stuff the bag in there, you'd have to pour it in.
But really doesn't need to be in a container, I just leave open bag in coop storage area(not accessible by birds).

Last edited:
Volume wise....it be might tight, but probably.....don't think you could stuff the bag in there, you'd have to pour it in.
But really doesn't need to be in a container, I just leave open bag in coop storage area(not accessible by birds).
Yes, you would normally pour it out. I bought a 25# bag and used about half, I did manage to get the rest of it bag & all crammed in a bucket with room to spare
big_smile.png
(I got a small bag of boss in there too!) I use buckets for everything (maybe my title should be "the bucket queen"? Anyway, my "storage area" is under an open shed next to the run, it has a dirt floor, so the buckets are all lined up on a board supported by cinder blocks to keep them off the ground. I actually looked out there and I have 8 buckets, LOL I usually have at least 50# of feed & corn on hand (4buckets), os & grit (2buckets), pdz (1bucket) and the other bucket? well, you never know.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies! I ended up getting a 6-gallon Behrens bucket with lid for the PDZ. That way I should be able to pour in a new full bag even if there's still a little bit left in there. I know I don't really have to put it in a bucket, but I do love my storage containers.
smile.png
They seem to be a little easier to scoop out of than bags, for me.

And I do love those Gamma Seal lids!! I just discovered them last year, and they're my new favorite thing.

Thank you for all the replies! I ended up getting a 6-gallon Behrens bucket with lid for the PDZ. That way I should be able to pour in a new full bag even if there's still a little bit left in there. I know I don't really have to put it in a bucket, but I do love my storage containers.
smile.png
They seem to be a little easier to scoop out of than bags, for me.

And I do love those Gamma Seal lids!! I just discovered them last year, and they're my new favorite thing.
Let us how it fits!

Back
Top Bottom