Pea chicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Ballyhoo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    Hullo there, I'm new to both the Backyard Chickens forum and to this the Peafowl forum, so please dont shout at me if this question has been asked before....

I have two unexpected arrivals (pea chicks obv) who are now 23 days old and great little darlings. I have had them in my home made brooder, in a nice warm room with plenty of light etc. etc. and the lamp on them at night for the last week. Previously they were under the lamp 24/7. My question is, when can I move them to a more suitable, outside environment, (a stable)? I have three hen chicks in there at the moment (aged undetermined as they were given to us - slightly smaller than the pea chicks, so guessing two three weeks old?) and a young runner duck and a muscovy-ish duck about seven weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Regards, Mark

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Peachicks-
    immune systems mature much slower than those of chickens or ducks therefore they remain very susceptible to soil Bourne illnesses and microorganisms. Most of us try to keep them off the ground until 10 to 12 weeks of age. And then we continue monitoring and using medicated feed to try to ensure a smooth transition.

2 people like this.
  3. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    Many thanks for that. I was planning on putting them in a stable with rubber stable matting and wood shavings/straw etc over. Is this considered 'ground'? Would the presence of the chicken chicks be considered detrimental to the health of the pea chicks?

Ta! :)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We don't care if a question has been asked before, we'll still answer... :D Like DylansMom, I keep mine off the ground as long as possible, and since I have blackhead here, I keep medications on hand in case they do get sick once they're on the dirt.

Have you read the stickies yet?

-Kathy

5. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Its not a good idea to use wood shavings, also its better to keep them away from the ducks at this age.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Have the chicken chicks been on dirt yet?

-Kathy

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Since it seems this has already been answered I'll stick with Welcome to BYC! I will add this bit of advice, don't ever be afraid to ask a question here. Everyone here is friendly and patient. It's very hard to offend us here. We've gotten many questions and things pop up in the peafowl form before so no need to be afraid to say something weird.

9. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG] and Welcome to the Peafowl group!

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

10. i currently want some indian blue peacocks but i dont know where to get some 4 a resonable price i live in culpeper VA any ideas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by