Pea Comb question

Nov 28, 2017
UK
Is 3 rows on a peacomb indicative of sex? I don’t believe it is, if it were then that would make any breed with a peacomb autosexing, right? Is it not just that given that pullets have small combs, you cannot make out the three rows? Or on ‘easter eggers’ they’re a mix, and therefore can have a mixed comb, which may sometimes make it seem like males have three distinct rows?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

No a female pea comb breeds should have 3 rows too. You are correct that some have small combs and it is hard to distinguish the 3 rows. So this has lead some to believe 1 row female and 3 row male but this is another of those things that gets pass around social media.
Thank you. I told someone that their ‘EE’ is male because of the saddle feathers being pointed, and someone else said that they know it’s male because it has 3 rows on its pea comb…

Both males and females have three rows. If they don’t have any rows, that just means mixed comb genetics (probably rose combs along with peas, which would produce walnut combs.)
Even this article on BYC mentions that the pea comb may have only one row: Pea combs often have 3 rows of "peas" side by side, although sometimes there is only 1 row.

So is this just a well perpetuated myth or does it ever hold weight? Is it in the SoP for 3 rows?

ABA For Ameraucana female- pea small low set firmly and evenly on head, lower and narrower in front and rear than at center, “each row evenly serrated”. I can’t find a definition only a picture. Nothing for pea comb under defects but disqualification for pea comb is if falling below horizontal plane level with top of head. I don’t have APA standard definition might be in there. I had the same question as you when I first got Ameraucana and was told by breeders and judges that it’s 3 rows.

In my personal experience with pea combed breeds, the three-row pea comb thing does have some weight, just not as much to me as things like color in the comb and masculine feather coloring. Males typically develop their combs sooner than females of the same breed, this is true regardless of comb type. A pea comb on a very young female is usually harder, sometimes even impossible, to distinguish rows of bumps on because it is so small and flat to the head, whereas a young male will frequently grow in a larger comb at a much younger age, making those rows more distinct. The three-rowed pea comb is equivalent in my mind to saying that a single combed breed has a lot of comb growth at a young age. But some younger females with pea combs do have more distinct rows, just as some single-combed females can grow in larger combs earlier on, and other masculine traits should be factored in as well before making a judgement call on the sex of a chick.

I don't necessarily think it's a myth, in other words, I just think people suggest it without realizing that it has its limitations, such as that at a later age females will generally also have three distinctly visible rows.

Even this article on BYC mentions that the pea comb may have only one row: Pea combs often have 3 rows of "peas" side by side, although sometimes there is only 1 row.

So is this just a well perpetuated myth or does it ever hold weight? Is it in the SoP for 3 rows?
Three rows is in the standard and this is typical. However, if the comb was irregular enough, I guess it might have one. Usually, this is just one that is higher than the other two, like in singlexpea heterozygotes.

Three rows is in the standard and this is typical. However, if the comb was irregular enough, I guess it might have one. Usually, this is just one that is higher than the other two, like in singlexpea heterozygotes.
Can I ask what you think to this?

“But for future reference 3 row pea comb in OP’s last post tells all. Brahma hens won’t develop a 3 row pea comb before laying, if they do at all.”

Can I ask what you think to this?

“But for future reference 3 row pea comb in OP’s last post tells all. Brahma hens won’t develop a 3 row pea comb before laying, if they do at all.”
That is complete and utter BS ;) I had Brahma pullets with three rows on their pea combs at SIX WEEKS. I can say with absolute firsthand experience that they have no clue what they're talking about. :) Here's a six week old pullet with a three-rowed pea comb!!
3F82D22F-1A50-493A-8EB1-3B8F987D28D1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom