Pea plant support

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulaSB12, Mar 15, 2011.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Songster

Dec 6, 2010
    I am going to grow pea plants on my allotment in 5 metre rows. The thing is ia am planting 740 pea seeds and could do with ideas to support them. There are 4 different types of pea. Two of them grow one metre but the others grow 3 metres high. Mind you my allotment should be colourful I am growing yellow abs giant mange tout
    Purple
    Beans, potatoes, artichoke and cauliflower.

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    Don't know the type of pea that is... but I would build something a little taller than their suggested vine length. maybe sink some 4x4's and run wire between them for support. Then you could weave string up n down between the wire rows to create a grid.

3. Royd

Royd Songster

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I just use bamboo, stuck into the ground, every 6" or so...Sometimes, you have to get the plants to start up the bamboo, but once it's going, it forms its own net....And yes, they tend to get tall than the advertised height.

I have also built a trellis, with a suspended top and bottom rail , with nails or hooks, every 6" and just run nylon string, up and down, hooking the nail, each time...At the end of the season, either plant pole beans on it, or roll it up, for next season.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Use bird netting you can make it talll or short depending on wich way you turn it.
    I use what evey I have laying around last year i just had a smalll amount of peas so I used an old metal springs.Im getting ready to plant peas (alot more) in the next few days,so ill see what I have to help em grow up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Songster

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    I use branches from trees we've pruned. I like the look. It makes a "pea hedge" and can be used a a fence!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've used a wood frame with garden netting, a wood trellis, string and pea brush. Pea brush is just bushy branches you shove in the ground. I think they all work.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Metal T posts, some spare fencing and some zip ties also make a great trellis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: