Peachick with slipped tendon

fl.gif
fl.gif

Well, he's not out of the woods yet, but he is walking around on the leg, using it mostly normally (a little limping, a little weak at first). I wasn't thrilled with how it looks -- the leg has thickened, some swelling of the foot (almost looks like a little bumblefoot, but no wound, just swelling in the pad), there's some scarring and redness at the hock joint on the front and side, apparently from irritation due to the bandaging, and the foot is a little duskier than I would like. All of this suggests to me that the circulation was a little impaired with the wrapping.

However, the good news is that the tendon seems to be staying in place without the bandage, he is moving the joint more or less normally, and he is supporting his weight on the leg. I've been checking on him periodically over the last several hours, and so far, he is doing okay.

So all I can do now is wait and see. The swelling may be down a little from this afternoon -- I'm hoping that without the bandage, the swelling will gradually subside. The joint itself is not as swollen as before. The lower leg & foot swelling is kinda new-ish.

He's gotten farther through this than most chicks ever do. Overall, still seems healthy. Eats, drinks, hangs out with the other chicks.

fl.gif
x 3...

BTW, For anyone reading this thread, trying to figure out how to treat a slipped tendon -- I would recommend going straight to the vet's version of the wrap & tape -- that definitely worked better than the one I used initially.  That's post #12 above.

Hey GP any updates on the little fella?

Gerald Barker

So glad to hear he has recovered! And thank you so much for such a detailed post! Had a chick born with a slipped tendon and will be trying the tape and splint! Hope I have as much success as you have.

Excellent, GP! Wonderful post! I didn't see your question til recently, as u can see u had a Bowl close to Answer and he was a healthy eater by that age. I imagine much harder with a chick. My guy still limps if he uses it a lot, but he csn get on the roof and up high to roost so he does ok.
Congrats on your little guy!

Back
Top Bottom