Peachick with slipped tendon

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Garden Peas, Apr 1, 2016.

1. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Crowing

Jan 13, 2012
    Dunedin, NZ
    I missed this too, great work @Garden Peas ! [​IMG]

2. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Songster

Sep 23, 2014
    Good luck! Hope it works out [​IMG]

I think usually when you see an issue at birth, it is more likely to be a splayed leg, but could happen either way -- make sure to check and try to figure out for sure exactly where the problem is.

The really key difference was the way the vet applied the tape to the joint -- that made a big difference in the outcome. Using two flat pieces rather than wrapping around really helped. Kathy @casportpony posted something on leg fractures the other day, and that vet used a similar technique -- that would be worth looking at for sure.

And also, while I wish it were in better circumstances, welcome to the peafowl forum! [​IMG]

3. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Songster

Sep 23, 2014
    Thanks new 2 -- it was really the vet... I just took pictures of her work after my own failed [​IMG]

4. I am struggling with my extra tiny silkie runt Minion. It has a slipped tendon from birth. I have taken to the vet for the first wrap and I am not so sure if my re-wrap is at all helpful. I need to learn to do this...

5. VansBantams

VansBantams In the Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Would you recommend putting the chick in a chair or just let the chick move around freely with the bandage on? I have two three week old Guinea Keets that have this issue but their legs are straight back behind them and I cannot feel the tendon rolling around on bad legs.

6. That doesn't sound like a tendon problem, more like a hip out of joint. I would bind it into a full sitting position for a day with its hocks up against its breast. You could try this with the addition of taping the chick down to the cardboard.
    IMG_4592.JPG IMG_4589.JPG

casportpony likes this.
  7. pine45

pine45 Chirping

May 30, 2012
    Beecher, illinois
    This is the best coverage on peachick legproblem!

8. pine45

pine45 Chirping

May 30, 2012
    Beecher, illinois
    This is the best coverage on peachick leg problem! I am over my head trying help my three week old chick! Have tried to rectify splay leg, but looks more complicated than pictured splay leg. I live in Illinois and having great difficulty finding help!!

9. I am glad you found this thread!

10. pine45

pine45 Chirping

May 30, 2012
    Beecher, illinois
    Outstanding photos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: