Peachicks dying

debbiexdeby

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Hi! I recently bought 2 4-month old peahens for my other peachicks as they’re growing up and I wanted to make sure I had more girls than boys. Anyway, one of the peahens passed away 2 days ago and I’m not sure why 🤷‍♀️ When I first got them, they were getting pecked on quite a bit but seemed to become friends with the others shortly after. The ones I’ve had since they were babies are doing really well; they walk around and jump and run, but the peahens wouldn’t really do anything. They would just spend their time sleeping and eating. They wouldn’t run around and jump, so I would regularly check on them. The other peahen is now showing signs of what the other was like. She won’t walk around and just sleeps. I’m getting really worried and don’t want her to die as well. (Should I move her into a different cage?) :( if anyone can let me know what’s wrong with them, I’d be very grateful

I think my best option would be to move her into another cage and isolate her so she’ll be treated separately from them and I can keep an eye on her. I did that once with one of my other peachicks that seemed to be sick when he was younger and he was fine in a week and now runs around with the others so I think I’ll be moving her

Stress will bring out cocci that would normally be suppressed as they age. Any time you bring in new stock they need to be in isolation until they have been given a full round of cocci and worm medications. I would move her to a small enclosure and give her a heat lamp along with cocci medication. Now that they have been in with your other birds they should be treated as well.

Stress will bring out cocci that would normally be suppressed as they age. Any time you bring in new stock they need to be in isolation until they have been given a full round of cocci and worm medications. I would move her to a small enclosure and give her a heat lamp along with cocci medication. Now that they have been in with your other birds they should be treated as well.
Thank you so much! These were my suspicions as well! Do you know any good medication to treat this? My birds were all healthy but as soon as I brought in the new birds, they’ve been having the described issues of cocci. Thank you to all for your help!

In a pinch Corid is helpful but not one I would rely on but it is available at all the farm stores. Or you could ask your vet for some sulfadimethoxine which is a better choice. If you were raising lots of young birds I would suggest Toltrazuril, it has to ordered out of Canada and is expensive.

In a pinch Corid is helpful but not one I would rely on but it is available at all the farm stores. Or you could ask your vet for some sulfadimethoxine which is a better choice. If you were raising lots of young birds I would suggest Toltrazuril, it has to ordered out of Canada and is expensive.
I’ve been looking for Corid but can’t find it anywhere where I’m living here in Canada 🤷‍♀️ I might go with the sulfdimethoxine. Thank you so much!

I’ve been looking for Corid but can’t find it anywhere where I’m living here in Canada 🤷‍♀️ I might go with the sulfdimethoxine. Thank you so much!
If you finish filling out your account information with location, etc. you will get better responses to your questions. I have no idea what is available in Canada except that is where I order my Toltrazuril.

Back
Top Bottom