Peachicks Not Eating

I edited my previous post and included the video. It starts with the chick in the brooder, sleeping. I did take it and move it next to the peahen (it was dark so I used a flashlight for light, while fending off mosquitos). After I stopped the video, I did push the chick under the hen. When I went back out about an hour later, it seems like the chick is still there, so I left things as is. I think you can see in the video the jerky head movements.

It will let me post only a Youtube or Vimeo video...and I don't know how to do that. It is getting late...I will try again tomorrow.

WAIT!! - I put it on Youtube...let me try again...

0.jpg
Have you checked it for mites and lice?

-Kathy

I edited my previous post and included the video. It starts with the chick in the brooder, sleeping. I did take it and move it next to the peahen (it was dark so I used a flashlight for light, while fending off mosquitos). After I stopped the video, I did push the chick under the hen. When I went back out about an hour later, it seems like the chick is still there, so I left things as is. I think you can see in the video the jerky head movements.
If it were mine I would not leave it out with the hen tonight, because I don't think it will be able to keep up when she leaves the nest in the morning.

-Kathy

Yes...I fed it this morning and checked it over for mites and lice and found nothing, but puffed it with Permetherin anyway (and sprinkled some around in the brooder and where the hen and two chicks are). I am going out now to feed it again. What did you think of the head bobbing?

Yes...I fed it this morning and checked it over for mites and lice and found nothing, but puffed it with Permetherin anyway (and sprinkled some around in the brooder and where the hen and two chicks are). I am going out now to feed it again. What did you think of the head bobbing?
Infection? Vitamin deficiency? @Eggcessive and @TwoCrows , any thoughts?

-Kathy

Sorry about your baby. When you mentioned "ticks" of the head, I was looking for AE, Avian Encephalyelitis which is a Viral brain swelling common in babies. I had a chick with AE years ago but yours doesn't really have the same motions, (AE causes what looks like they are buzzing or vibrating), so I think you can rule this out. Yours seems to have definite weakness. I am not ruling out some bacterial brain swelling, but it isn't all that common. It almost looks like "Star Gazing" although not so dramatic. What this is is a thiamine deficiency and causes muscle spasms and the head jerks backwards and if its bad enough the chick will look straight up. Either this or wry neck is developing. Vitamins E, all the B's, A and Selenium are needed to treat either of these conditions.

I would get this baby on something like Avian Super Pack... http://www.jefferspet.com/products/avian-super-pack-4oz

Here is a good all around vitamin supplement with Thiamine added... http://www.entirelypets.com/avbirvi...=98313693070&gclid=CIXd8Yy6y80CFZSCfgodoV0Ftg

This is a good supplement with Thiamine added.... http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sav-a-chick-electrolyte-vitamin-supplement-017-oz-pack-of-3

(I don't like to do long term electrolytes because they do contain a higher than needed amount of salts.)

And it wouldn't hurt to throw in some Selenium too. All the ingredients in the Avian Super Pack are great for Wry or Star Gazing and the Selenium will help the bird process all these things. 50 -100 micrograms a day. Usually these pills come in 250 microgram tablets, so you can quarter one for a 50 mcg dose or half if you want to up it to 100 mcg dose. You can get Selenium at most pharmacy areas with the vitamins.

And I agree with Kathy, I would keep this little one separate and in it's own brooder, raise her yourself.

I sure hope you can heal her soon, she is adorable!!

Keep us posted!! :)

Last edited:
I can easily get Save-A-Chick at TSC this afternoon...is that in ADDITION to the Avian Super Pack? And if I do need to order the Avian Super Pack, that will take some period of time to arrive...even if I do the quickest shipping, it won't arrive until this weekend or later, and Monday is a holiday (I checked their website for shipping delivery times to my area). So I am wondering if TSC might have something similar (or if the Save-A-Chick would substitute). Could I just add Thiamine to her diet? (and if so, how much per day?)

I can get the Selenium today, too.

I have her in the brooder. When I fed her around noon, I had mash on a big spoon. If I stuck her beak in the mash, she did scoop it up herself and ate quite a bit, I thought. Of course, I am away for 7 days starting on Monday...so I will need to find someone who can take her and feed her - or hopefully she will be eating on her own, which would be great!!

Curious on the Selenium. If I quarter the pill and crush the quarters, should I just try to get it all in her at once, or does it need to be spaced out over the day?

You all are such a great asset to the "backyard fowl" community! I appreciate your time and knowledge!

I would give either or, but not at the same time... the Super Pack or the Sav a chick. If you can get the Save a Chick today, do it. Then if you see it helps her, I would order the Super Pack and switch over so she is not taking in so much salt.

Yes, you can just add Thiamine to her diet, but chances are she is deficient in other vitamins too. So it never hurts to add other things.

As for the Selenium, just once a day is fine. You can crush the pill and put it in a tiny bit of Gerber Baby food and squeeze it in her mouth, under the tongue if you can, from an empty syringe. I dose adult birds this way, chicks are a bit more difficult, but she looks big enough to deal with. If there is something you know she will wolf down like scrambled eggs or something, you can put the selenium in that too.

Please keep us posted!! :) I sure hope you can save her!! :)

OK - the Save A Chick it is! And I will get the Selenium and if I see Thiamin...

I can order the Avian Super Pack later...

Assuming there is improvement, at what point do I stop giving her all this? I understand that the Save a Chick shouldn't be long-term (note that I have been putting "Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes" in her water, which does have Thiamin Hydrochloride. I will stop the Durvet and do only Save a Chick...until I get the Avian Super Pack. But when do I know she doesn't need it any longer?

Also - as she is eating her mash, which is the medicated chick starter/grower with that Kibble stuff added for additional protein, do I need to continue with the scrambled egg? Should I be adding anything else?

Back
Top Bottom