Peachicks sure are friendly!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by racuda, Jun 24, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's taken two months but I finally have some peachicks.

The first ones to hatch two months ago were all killed by their chicken momma. She was a devoted broody though, so I gave her 8 more eggs. I took them and place them in the incubator the day before they were supposed to hatch. So far I have 4 chicks, with one more pipping.

The peachicks don't run from my hand like chicken chicks do. They actually seem to enjoy being held. I dip my finger in water, then dip it in starter. They like to peck the starter stuck to my fingers.

[​IMG]

2. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Yeah they are [​IMG]. I've got one that's a couple of weeks old, and he comes up to me and hangs out with me. I can scratch his neck and pet him all over. [​IMG]

3. Fowler Hencock

Fowler Hencock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    The first one we hand raised is now a mature opal cock. He still comes up to us when we enter his pen and wants his neck to be petted. He will hold perfectly still and let you touch his head, beak and neck. He doesn't like his back touched though.

If you want your chicks to grow up to be friendly adults, handle them as much as possible. Put them in a hand towel and set it on your lap and pat the bird through the towel while you watch tv or are on the computer. The towel keeps your pants clean, and simulates a mother's wing. Talk to the bird and respond to it's sounds. They will bond to you this way. But be ready for them to start crying once you put them back in their cage. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by