FreckledBearPDX

Hatching
Jan 22, 2023
Hello Everyone!

I haven’t started chicken keeping yet but I’m here to learn all I can.
My household just moved into a new house last spring with enough space to set up the small urban homestead of my dreams. We call it Peachy Keen Place. This season we are focusing on getting our vegetable garden set up but we plan on starting our chicken adventures in 2024. Im seeking out the best sources of information on everything about backyard chicken raising. I’m truly a blank slate at the moment. I have no idea what I want as far as breeds, types of coops, feed, and everything else. The goal is not just getting high quality, good tasting eggs, but also to enjoy caring for chickens.

We are a household of four adults, three of which are dynamically disabled (meaning our physical disabilities and needs change from day to day.) I’m the household manager and take the lead on making sure everything gets taken care of. There is a lot of delegating since I’m one of the dynamically disabled folks. The urban homestead dream is definitely more mine than anyone else’s but everyone is on board, even if they aren’t as excited as I am.

We also have three indoor adult cats, one indoor elderly adult cat, and one small sausage-looking rescue mutt who is 1 1/2 years old. It should be….interesting to see how they all respond to the chickens.

My first request for help is; where do I start? Any recommendations? I’m a voracious reader and audio/podcast listener so books are always welcome. I’m especially interested in learning about the advantages and disadvantages of different breeds. It seems like a good place to start since the needs of the breeds can determine everything else down the line.

Thanks everyone! Hope spring comes soon for everyone!
Freckled Bear (FB)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You can read through literally thousands of threads categorized under the different topics listed in the Forums and visit the Articles page where you can find thousands of different articles to learn pretty much anything you'd like to know. If you're going to look at the articles, focus on the ones with the highest ratings.

Hello Everyone!

I haven’t started chicken keeping yet but I’m here to learn all I can.
My household just moved into a new house last spring with enough space to set up the small urban homestead of my dreams. We call it Peachy Keen Place. This season we are focusing on getting our vegetable garden set up but we plan on starting our chicken adventures in 2024. Im seeking out the best sources of information on everything about backyard chicken raising. I’m truly a blank slate at the moment. I have no idea what I want as far as breeds, types of coops, feed, and everything else. The goal is not just getting high quality, good tasting eggs, but also to enjoy caring for chickens.

We are a household of four adults, three of which are dynamically disabled (meaning our physical disabilities and needs change from day to day.) I’m the household manager and take the lead on making sure everything gets taken care of. There is a lot of delegating since I’m one of the dynamically disabled folks. The urban homestead dream is definitely more mine than anyone else’s but everyone is on board, even if they aren’t as excited as I am.

We also have three indoor adult cats, one indoor elderly adult cat, and one small sausage-looking rescue mutt who is 1 1/2 years old. It should be….interesting to see how they all respond to the chickens.

My first request for help is; where do I start? Any recommendations? I’m a voracious reader and audio/podcast listener so books are always welcome. I’m especially interested in learning about the advantages and disadvantages of different breeds. It seems like a good place to start since the needs of the breeds can determine everything else down the line.

Thanks everyone! Hope spring comes soon for everyone!
Freckled Bear (FB)
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Our Learning Center has all kinds of articles to help you get started, click here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

And of course feel free to ask as many questions as needed. Welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom