Peacock as Guard Animal

Well, I've heard predators get freaked out by the male peacock's tail "fan"
umno.gif

The humane society has dogs come through all the time, mow a couple of lawns for the adoption fee. Another good place to look is at rescue pages on FB. I adopted a great dog years ago, a finished champion Norwegian Elkhound who had won everything he could and they had no need of him anymore. He was a really nice dog and did not cost me anything other than a trip to go get him.
I can't, I'm not allowed. Maybe when I'm older.:confused:

I got mine at the pound. He was a stray and had some social issues, but I have had him 6 years, I have only lost 1 bird when a raccoon climbed through a hole in coop. I do not know if he can catch a raccoon, but everything else that comes in my yard ends up dead. Mostly possums.
@joojy , did you mean to post something?
I did , but I don't know what happened

I have seen a peacock who had gotten into the emu pen chasing the emus around in a zoo, the emus being much larger than the peacock and could kill it easily, but they were intimidated by the tail fan and ran away instead. So I thought the tail fan could also be used to intimidate predators since such large birds were terrified of it.

I got mine at the pound. He was a stray and had some social issues, but I have had him 6 years, I have only lost 1 bird when a raccoon climbed through a hole in coop. I do not know if he can catch a raccoon, but everything else that comes in my yard ends up dead. Mostly possums.

I did , but I don't know what happened
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not allowed. They said yes to guinea fowl so I'll try that. We have mountain lions, bears, coyotes, foxes, wolves, skunk, cats, dogs, lynx, hawks, owls, weasels, some rats, etc. You are lucky to be dealing with possums and raccoons and not foxes and coyotes:rolleyes:

I have seen a peacock who had gotten into the emu pen chasing the emus around in a zoo, the emus being much larger than the peacock and could kill it easily, but they were intimidated by the tail fan and ran away instead. So I thought the tail fan could also be used to intimidate predators since such large birds were terrified of it.
That is exactly what I thought too!

Back
Top Bottom