Peacock as Guard Animal

w
I'm right across from you in Manitoba. We have all the same predators with the exception of bears. We only see them once in a while. We've had coyotes in our yard in the past that have taken down deer. We're surrounded by tree covered grain land and pastures full of wildlife. I free range and have rarely gotten hit. I trap everything now that comes in the yard.

Peaveymart (if you're close) have their set of two traps go on sale for $30. I just bought 3 sets of traps. That takes care of everything smaller than the coyotes. The small traps will take care of those pesky rats.

I use mirror balls hung out in the yard for aerial predators and for those darn cliff swallows that try to build nests on the house. The independent flashes seem to keep everything at bay. We just had a bald eagle, an owl and two hawks around in the last couple of weeks and they're were zero hits on chickens and guineas in the open.

Do you have any trappers in the area? We have one who traps coyotes in the winter.

Electric poultry fencing will work for the ground predators. It's cost effective and covers a lot of ground if you have been free ranging. It's our backup. I'd say that electric fencing is the holy grail as far as the predators you mentioned. One length on sale is not much more than peacocks cost.

Guineas will bring the noise but that's about it. I've got 12 which will be 20 as soon as the keets grow up. They travel in pairs and spread out over the yard. They're great at alerting if something shows up but that's it. They can also be taken/killed...and they're not cheap unless you know someone with them.
I regularly hunt coyotes, my main issue is one individual fox, who I have missed 3 times. As for the electric fencing, I suppose I could look into that. The guineas will at least serve an alarm system, and I can get a pair for $50.

Well, you're already ahead of the game if you hunt coyotes. Foxes have been our main issue, they're so incredibly stealthy. Young foxes are quite easy to trap. Older foxes...not so much in our experience. I trap the young, my husband's taken care of the older ones.

We got electric poultry netting last year from Peavey when it was on sale. Because we free range 99.9% of the time we opted for the less expensive netting that's not as conductive in multiple lengths. We're only setting up a few lengths.

I originally was going to order the more expensive netting from the US from the same company but the shipping is expensive. We're covered and have it on hand if we have something happen. It will be set up when my hens get moved to the proper building.

I did start with four guineas originally, and we got hit by foxes at supper time last year, in daylight and the guineas didn't make a sound. One got spooked by the foxes into our rabbit pens. I was surprised by that. Not sure why they didn't alert. :confused:
Just thought I'd mention that.

Well, you're already ahead of the game if you hunt coyotes. Foxes have been our main issue, they're so incredibly stealthy. Young foxes are quite easy to trap. Older foxes...not so much in our experience. I trap the young, my husband's taken care of the older ones.

We got electric poultry netting last year from Peavey when it was on sale. Because we free range 99.9% of the time we opted for the less expensive netting that's not as conductive in multiple lengths. We're only setting up a few lengths.

I originally was going to order the more expensive netting from the US from the same company but the shipping is expensive. We're covered and have it on hand if we have something happen. It will be set up when my hens get moved to the proper building.

I did start with four guineas originally, and we got hit by foxes at supper time last year, in daylight and the guineas didn't make a sound. One got spooked by the foxes into our rabbit pens. I was surprised by that. Not sure why they didn't alert. :confused:
Just thought I'd mention that.
See that is what I'm afraid of- I know guineas aren't perfect guards, and although some others have had success, I am starting to think instead of spending $50 on two guineas, maybe spending $150 on electric fencing and also expanding my run area, might be worth it....It's a good idea. Now, I'll have to talk to my parents, but they would probably offer to cover some of the costs as the birds are like my family even if they hate them. I just want the best for them:confused:
I still will likely round up $7.99 for wolf pee at my local hunting store.
Also, when you bought the electric netting at Peavey mart, did it come with a solar charger thing?

The fencer was separate. I bought a fairly large charger on sale. At the moment it's on one of our cattle fences.:rolleyes: I'm thinking a length of the netting was $170ish and I think the charger was around $80. If your parents help...that would be great. Do they get eggs in return?:)

I just mentioned this thread to my husband...and he mentioned you should get a dog. laughing.gif We have two LGD...but they're in with our sheep.

If you can't have a dog, that decision's already been made. But as someone who never had a livestock guardian dog before...they are much better and easier to keep than I ever thought. They look like they're sleeping all day, and sometimes they are...but they see and hear everything. And ours eat no more than our border collie did. A good one is worth their weight in gold. I agree with the other posters on that.

The fencer was separate. I bought a fairly large charger on sale. At the moment it's on one of our cattle fences.:rolleyes: I'm thinking a length of the netting was $170ish and I think the charger was around $80. If your parents help...that would be great. Do they get eggs in return?:)

I just mentioned this thread to my husband...and he mentioned you should get a dog. View attachment 1047464We have two LGD...but they're in with our sheep.

If you can't have a dog, that decision's already been made. But as someone who never had a livestock guardian dog before...they are much better and easier to keep than I ever thought. They look like they're sleeping all day, and sometimes they are...but they see and hear everything. And ours eat no more than our border collie did. A good one is worth their weight in gold. I agree with the other posters on that.
Yes, my parents will get eggs in return and rooster meat from whatever cockerels I end up with. I lost $300 in birds just recently and they did say they'd help cover the cost of new ones, but they haven't (yet).
I would love a LGD, but that will have to wait until I'm older. :confused:

I'm sorry to hear about that. How many birds do you have? There's also going the route of a completely enclosed run for ultimate security. I realize you mentioned the cost factor already. I've never priced that out, I have too many birds to build an enclosure the size I'd need to build.

I'm sorry to hear about that. How many birds do you have? There's also going the route of a completely enclosed run for ultimate security. I realize you mentioned the cost factor already. I've never priced that out, I have too many birds to build an enclosure the size I'd need to build.
I have 4 hens, a rooster on the way and a Silkie hen on the way too. As well as a rabbit that occasionally runs around with them when I am there to supervise. I plan on raising 1-2 batches of chicks each year (with broody hens- might invest in a muscovy hen too.) to sell and raise for meat or layers. So likely, constantly changing numbers with the possibility of guinea fowl. My coop is 6' by 8'.

Also, to add on to that, the run is attached to a 12' by 20' (approximately) 3-sided 'run in' shed (initially meant for horses.). So, partially covered.

Back
Top Bottom