Peacock emergency

I think it's about time I gave up. I made a small incision with a scalpel to try and get the puss out right at the top of where the hardness was and he started bleeding like crazy. It soaked through the paper towel and everytime u wiped it away it was pouring down his face again before u could even find where you'd made the incision. I thought I must of hit something bad and I was going to have to hold him while he bled to death so I put pressure on it until it quit, put a little diluted tea tree oil on it and let him go. i can only imagine making incisions on a raging infection is similiar to adding fuel to a fire also. Picking the puss off the roof of his mouth is making it pretty sore looking and it bleeds almost every time I do. I would guess picking at the flesh with tweezers and making it sore twice a day also isn't good. Idk what else to do. All the vets around here are specifically cat and dog or cow vets (and not that great of ones either). I'm completely stumped and feel like I'm probably just going to have to watch him die

Dont give up it will be messy, believe it or not blood is a good sign, thats the good area and blood is a healer, he wont bleed to death although Im sure its painful. Keep draining it and if you have too, sew him up with needle and thread and maintain antibiotics. You need the infection out and the blood to circulate once again. Look for foreign objects in the nasal area and in the roof of the mouth, something is keeping the infection festered up.Ensure he has plenty of water and watch him drink or he will get dehydrated and stressed which really makes it worse. Most of all, keep the faith and us posted.

Gerald Barker

They will bleed expect that much. Bleeding can sometimes help with the healing process. Yes it is a scary thing when they are bleeding, I get that. http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html. Maybe this can help. You can see the peacock is bleeding. You can't make an omelet without breaking a couple eggs. Sorry, it was the only expression I could think of to try and enlighten things. There's no way you can make an incision to help him without bleeding no matter if you are or are not a vet.

Are there any pea folks within driving distance? Maybe you can find someone knowledgeable to help/

Currently I am treating a peacock with sinus infection. I am going to try to extract this way out of his eye. :)

Since you are already seeing the infection trying to work its way out of the eye you should have good results. Candy and I will try to get some good pics next time we have to do this, its' not easy trying to operate a camera and milk the infection at the same time.

I messaged a friend about bird vets and she referred me to one so I drove almost two hours yesterday, the vet walked in poked the roof of his mouth with a q-tip and said it was much to firm of a growth to be any kind of abcess or infection. He said what he had was almost like a cancer, it was caused by an bacteria that comes off of the feet of livestock and cows horses and chickens can also get the bacteria but it effects them all different. He said the bulge on the side of the face was most likely a blocked duct caused by the growth. He gave me an antibiotic and said he has about a 10% chance of survival because the growth will inhibit is ability to eat and not go away probably and left. It makes sense with the growth but I only 50% believe him. Why would a growth caused by bacteria get puss all over it? Not to mention he spent 5 seconds looking at him and touched it with a q tip and left. He was only in the room for 5 minutes. So do I believe him and just give him the antibiotics and syringe feed him for a week while he dies or try getting the crap out of the side of his face and keep picking the puss off of his growth? I'm stumped and not sure who's advice to follow

I messaged a friend about bird vets and she referred me to one so I drove almost two hours yesterday, the vet walked in poked the roof of his mouth with a q-tip and said it was much to firm of a growth to be any kind of abcess or infection. He said what he had was almost like a cancer, it was caused by an bacteria that comes off of the feet of livestock and cows horses and chickens can also get the bacteria but it effects them all different. He said the bulge on the side of the face was most likely a blocked duct caused by the growth. He gave me an antibiotic and said he has about a 10% chance of survival because the growth will inhibit is ability to eat and not go away probably and left. It makes sense with the growth but I only 50% believe him. Why would a growth caused by bacteria get puss all over it? Not to mention he spent 5 seconds looking at him and touched it with a q tip and left. He was only in the room for 5 minutes. So do I believe him and just give him the antibiotics and syringe feed him for a week while he dies or try getting the crap out of the side of his face and keep picking the puss off of his growth? I'm stumped and not sure who's advice to follow
You could send a sample of pus to a lab and have it checked.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom