Peacock House!!

I could actually measure but at a guess the bottom of the feeder is about 16" off the ground. Peacocks have no problems feeding from it and it could probably be higher if needed. You will need to make sure it is not close enough to a wall, roost, etc that the rats can climb because I have found they are also good jumpers. Mine is attached to top of barn roof so a very long chain. You need to make sure the rats can't get to top of chain and simply climb down.
Fingers crossed haven't seen a rat in months. Mind you I think the neighour is using poison.

Hard to keep the mice at bay in the barn honestly other than only putting out enough food that they can finish it within a few hours so it's not always sitting in there. We have a large deer feeder on stilts in the pasture that slings out mixed feed. We have the base wrapped in hardware cloth to help keep squirrels from eating thru the thick plastic. Works great for auto feeding away from the barn area.

I would do this, but there is no one at the Peacock house for most of the day we just stop by a couple times a day to feed them so we wouldn't really be able to keep the rats out during the day, there is a rat problem there because the last owner just put out massive piles of birdseed, I assume they just bought 40lb bags of scratch or birdseed and just dumped out the entire bag, at least that's what it looked like. Those birdseed piles have attracted tons of rats and squirrels.
Peacocks are exciting to have. Hanging feeders work great.
Sounds like its time to invest in a few rodent traps. I put mine under the henhouse. They go inside the trap and eat the poison. The birds can’t get to it.

Back
Top Bottom