Peacock House!!

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
Hello Peafowl people! So my mom recently got a large property, it is a house with about an acre of land. The interesting thing about this property, there are about 2 dozen peafowl that roam it, and the nearby properties. Judging by the massive piles or birdseed in the yard, I think the former owner is responsible for the Peacocks being there, and I think they just fed them bird seed. The males are pretty friendly and will come up and eat out of your hand, but the females are much more skiddish. We have bought them gamebird feed that we have been feeding them along with bringing treats in the form of mealworms and blueberries every day just to try and get them to hang around the property more. There are usually only about 5 or 6 on the property at a time, because they are all feral and just go into whoever's yard to forage. I don't really know much about peacocks in general and I would just love to hear anything. Best feed brand? Water source? Do you eat your peahens eggs? What are they like? Should we give them a shelter? They pretty much just perch in the trees and on top of the house at night time. Any tips to get them to stay on our property and not leave? Any tips and tricks for peacocks in general would be very helpful! I'm just looking to learn as much as as can about them!

Attachments

• 20210218_130959.jpg
    20210218_130959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210218_131016.jpg
    20210218_131016.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210218_131002.jpg
    20210218_131002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Scroll to the top of the Peafowl list of topics and click on 'Stickies' for a list of topics on feed, housing, medications, and general care. You will get more information there than waiting for the very few people that post here. I doubt those birds are going anywhere but be careful what you ask for. They like to perch on vehicles, eat your flowers and vegetables, and crap on your porch and decks.
IMG_2730.JPG

Also, ideas for a feeder that is rat and mouse proof?
I just use the round feeder pans you can get at any feed store and set them out in the morning and again in late afternoon. I just pick them up at dusk and tuck them into my henhouse for the night so critters dont come up and chow down. Of course that takes a bit of time and effort but then that's how I like to spend my days. LOL

In the peacock coop I have one of those feeders which you fill from the top and it drops into saucer bottom as they eat. Had a problem with rats thanks in part to a neighour who is careless with his feed and garbage. Starting hanging feeder from a rafter. Miscalculated the athletic ability of rats so had to keep increasing height but got that worked out now. Have two barn cats who happily bring me home an unending supply of dead mice and voles, sometimes with parts missing. I have seen them watch a rat walk by. I guess they know their limits.

In the peacock coop I have one of those feeders which you fill from the top and it drops into saucer bottom as they eat. Had a problem with rats thanks in part to a neighour who is careless with his feed and garbage. Starting hanging feeder from a rafter. Miscalculated the athletic ability of rats so had to keep increasing height but got that worked out now. Have two barn cats who happily bring me home an unending supply of dead mice and voles, sometimes with parts missing. I have seen them watch a rat walk by. I guess they know their limits.
how high did you have to put the hanging feeder for it to be properly rat proof? I was thinking about a hanging one but I wasn't sure if its possible to have it low enough that the peacocks can actually access it, without the rats being able to.

I just use the round feeder pans you can get at any feed store and set them out in the morning and again in late afternoon. I just pick them up at dusk and tuck them into my henhouse for the night so critters dont come up and chow down. Of course that takes a bit of time and effort but then that's how I like to spend my days. LOL
I would do this, but there is no one at the Peacock house for most of the day we just stop by a couple times a day to feed them so we wouldn't really be able to keep the rats out during the day, there is a rat problem there because the last owner just put out massive piles of birdseed, I assume they just bought 40lb bags of scratch or birdseed and just dumped out the entire bag, at least that's what it looked like. Those birdseed piles have attracted tons of rats and squirrels.

Back
Top Bottom