Peacock mites

It would be a good idea to mention that there is a difference between the type of Ivermec that is given orally and the one used topically. You do not want to give the Pour-On orally and the Injectible is not effective topically.
Semi-true, and good points!
  • Never give the pour on orally, pour on should *always* be given topically.
  • The injectable *is*it effective when given topically, or at least it was the one time I gave it to a rooster.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC,

@KsKingBee and @KikisGirls are correct, those are lice, and for some reason that type love peafowl. I treat mine with 1% ivemectin orally and I give it based on how much they weigh.

Large male - 0.6 ml
Small male - 0.4 ml
Large female - 0.4 ml
Small female - 0.3 ml

Permethrin dust or spray could be used too.

Where do you live?
Hello I have a question the invermectrin that I have is for injection is that the same one that you used orally ?

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the injectable, my vet tells me that giving it orally only works for sucking lice as they need to ingest the bird's body fluids to be exposed to the poison. Big breeders will use Sevin dust for this reason. It is possible that face lice that drink from the birds eye might get some and that leg mites might also as they are tunneling under the scales but there are many types of biting lice on birds but there are no sucking lice on birds according to my manual.
IMG_4098.JPG

That hen was treated with oral ivermectin and the lice were gone in 24 hours I think.
I want to believe but anecdotal testimonies and scientific proof are two very different things. I am not physically able to catch all of my birds and dust them, treating orally is much easier and what we have been doing. We put the correct oral amount in the wet feed yet we still have lice. We even spray the coops to no avail. I would spray the birds at night but they flush and the risk of them hurting themselves rules that out.

Back
Top Bottom