Peacock picking at shoulder

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
I am trying to determine why could be causing this issue. We inherited 3 peafowl when we purchased our farm last November. I don't recall what the peacock's tail looked like but currently, he is losing tail feathers and he's started pecking his right shoulder to the point it's bleeding.

I have checked his feathers for mites (I am very familiar with mites having dealt with it in our breeding of canaries and other birds). I found nothing even using a geologist's loupe. I have dusted with food grade diatomaceous earth today and will dust with a medicated powder to be on the safe side.

None of my other birds (2 turkeys, 4 ducks and 35 chickens all living together) show no reaction like feather plucking or scratching, picking etc. The two peahens show nothing either.
Some of the feathers falling out (or him plucking) do show blood in the tips while some don't.

I don't recall seeing him moult his tail feathers last fall, but I could have missed it, he's only 2 going on 3.

So, since everyone is healthy besides this peacock (pecking at himself). .. Any suggestions as to what could be causing him to do this? They have a lot of room to move around, it's dry inside, although snow is melting outside, he's active outside and inside.

Thank you for your assistance.

I would put some anti-pick lotion on the wound so that he doesn't keep pecking at it. I've had good luck with 'Rooster Booster anti pick lotion'. It tastes really nasty but won't hurt the peacock. Evidently he keeps pecking at it because it hurts or itches. But the more he pecks at it, the more it will hurt. Putting some kind of salve on it will help some if you can't get anti pick lotion.

I would put some anti-pick lotion on the wound so that he doesn't keep pecking at it. I've had good luck with 'Rooster Booster anti pick lotion'. It tastes really nasty but won't hurt the peacock. Evidently he keeps pecking at it because it hurts or itches. But the more he pecks at it, the more it will hurt. Putting some kind of salve on it will help some if you can't get anti pick lotion.

I do have Rooster Booster stop pick and Vetericyn. I'll use both of those tonight. Any suggestions on how to catch him? I don't have a net.

Does he sleep inside on a roost? I would wait until it is really dark and throw a towel or blanket over him until he is subdued. Be best if you had someone to help you since they are really strong. The blanket should help to keep him from beating you with his wings. And those toenails are sharp! Let us know how it goes.

Yes, he sleeps inside on a low enough to reach roost. I suspect those nails are sharp and he'd be a tough one to help. It's why I was to do this all at once. Not have to try again later...

I also have some powder to stop bleeding I'll bring that along in case. I wonder if I should give him some All in One medication at the same time.

I purchased some ivermectin today, it kills mites as well as other worms. I still don't think it's mites, as more than just he would be affected and every feather he drops I've inspected it thoroughly and have seen nothing.

Since other peafowl owners have used it for their birds I figured I may as well do this at the same time. Unfortunately the information I have on it says 10mls of ivermectin per 1 ml dosage. I have been told I need a 1% solution and give 1 ml so I want to double check with the manufacturer to make certain I have the correct solution percentage. So, today I arranged the barn to easily segregate them from all the other poultry and tomorrow evening I'll administer everything. The feathers were still coming out (found at least 4 today) but the shoulder wing area looked better this evening.

Thank you for your assistance!

Let us know how it turns out. I think doing it all at once is the best option. That way even if one medication doesn't work them something else will.

So I never want to do that again. Never. Ever. Ever. Again.

So my peacock that was pecking at his shoulder and losing feathers.... I had to separate them and close off part of the coop yesterday to get them alone. Then tonight at dusk, my husband and I went in and tried to catch him. As quietly and gently as we walked around the girls still went crazy flying into walls and on top of each other. I actually thought they would kill themselves. Finally they tuckered themselves out and I was able to put a towel over my guy, who struggled furiously, but wouldn't let me open his wing. So I had to stick my fingers in between feathers and slide my hand up from underneath. Still don't think I got the spot he was pecking at, but I sprayed it well drenched it with Vetericyn and then coated it with stop pick. We had given them water with the ivermectin this morning, but I don't think they drank any at all, so I'll leave it there for a couple more days.

Lastly I took some ivermectin onto my fingertips and gently rubbed it up between his wing and back/sides as far as I could reach.

If this does not stop whatever is going on then I seriously don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom