Peacock suddenly aggressive

blessed4x

Hatching
8 Years
May 23, 2011
My three year old peacock is free roaming in my yard. I also have chickens that free range most of the day. My peacock has a pen, but has not returned to it all spring, preferring to roost high in a tree in the hedgerow. He was raised from a chick and had much handling. I got him about 8 months ago.
The other day he attacked my son as he came out of the chicken coop from gathering the eggs. He jumped at his arm. Yesterday as my son was out playing catch, the peacock attacked him from behind, scratching his back up. He has not been aggressive toward my other children, myself, or my husband. He has shown some aggression toward my dogs, but the dogs will not go near him anyway. He loves to be around his people, running to me for treats, hanging around my husband while he does yardwork, or standing on the picnic table watching the kids play. When we are not outside, he spends much of his time peering in our backdoor, waiting for us to come back out.
I'm wondering if there is a way to stop this in its tracks, or if now that he has become aggressive he will remain so and possibly get worse. He really hates being penned and will spend all day pacing inside there. Would it be a good idea to get a peahen for companionship? Or should I just find a new home for the bird, somewhere where there are no children?
Suggestions from experience peafowl handlers/breeders would be most appreciated.

I know nothing.. but I do want to say.. I am so sorry.. and feel so awful for your son.. is he shocked?? or okay?? or now scared?? poor kid

also what kind of peacock is he?? what type???

sending you hugs and hoping others will hop in soon

maybe it has something to do with hormones.. and breeding season.. does your peacock have a peahen?? sorry if you stated that already I read your post kinda quick.. trying to be on the phone and read at the same time

xoxo

Last edited:
It can be found with hand raised peacocks, to become aggressive towards people or person because they no longer have any fear of them. I would clip one of his wings to ground him and make him feel a bit vulnerable, pen him up when he is bad and maybe he will learn that behavior leaves him in the pen. Using aggression towards him like chasing him with a broom when he is bad could backfire.... it depends.

thanks. He is an Indian blue...very lovely young guy.
I carry the broom only "in case", I generally just use it to shoo my chickens out of the garden.
It was suggested that his aggression may end after mating season is over? He does not have a peahen, but is generally a very happy camper as long as my chickens are free ranging, and will stay around them.
I did clip one of his wings, he still flies up really well though, so perhaps I didn't do it correctly. He likes to roost high up in a tree at night and I cannot even get him near his pen. I guess I will have to get a net or something.

Yep, breeding season also gets the testosterone going.... he may behave more afterward. I'd find him a hen to act out his pent up frustration...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom